Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

5.15.2011

Scrapbooks



[Click to enlarge; credits follow below.]

[Images on iPad are by Miguel Flores-Vianna from Veranda, May-June 2; India Hicks in her island house photographed by Arthur Elgort for Vogue, 1998. Story by Hamish Bowles.]

From uneven pages ripped out of Vogue to Miguel Flores-Vianna's fresh photographs in an iPad-friendly issue of Veranda, the varied formats of my saved India Hicks style images convey more than a decade's worth of radical changes in publishing. But this post isn't really about that.

When it comes to the house Hicks and David Flint Wood renovated in the Bahamas, I follow it in books and magazines the way groupies trail a band. Hence the repetition of a handful of these pictures in numerous SC posts during the last five years. I think I'm still so drawn to the place because, while very chic, it absolutely feels like the home of a specific family. Although there are punches of rich color, the walls and windows remain understated; the layers come in with collected art and objects which tend to migrate via ever-changing tablescapes (and wallscapes). The rooms are like scrapbooks come to life.  (A quality Flores-Vianna and Veranda capture nicely in the current issue.)


On that topic -- families and collected things -- I want to thank TradHome for inviting me to write about design and object-driven rooms. The piece can be found on page 76 now through May 17. Find out who shared thoughts with me here.


A little more related to memories, change, and saved things: the book My Faraway One: Selected Letters of Georgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz: Volume One, 1915-1933 is scheduled to be released next month. My friend Janet Blyberg assisted with this one so I'm definitely adding it to my summer reading list. 


And the Birmingham Museum of Art continues to build anticipation for Who Shot Rock & Roll: A Photographic History, 1955 to the Present. The micro-site is now live, and a curator and graphic designer share their enthusiasm for the exhibition here. Expectations are high that the show will bring an expanded audience through the doors of the museum.

7 comments:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Thanks so much for the heads up on the O'Keeffe/Stieglitz book. I'll be looking forward to that one!

Karena said...

Agree with Pamela! I will love reading the letters from Stieglitz and O'Keefe's love.

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Come and enter my New Giveaway from Serena & Lily! You will love it!

Tokyo Jinja said...

Coincidence of perfect timing? Joni at Cote de Texas also has a new post where she puts her detective hat on and tracks furniture and objects from a beloved home featured in an older magazine with a new real estate listing. Isn't if funny how certain homes and objects appeal to us enough that we keep watch for them? (My personal object obsession, tracked through many incarnations, is Peri Wolfman Gold's marble topped bakers table) And isn't it funny how we often feel a kinship with those who treasure the same interiors we do? I always think I was drawn to your blog, yes because of the writing, but really at first because I had so many of the same torn out pages from magazines!

Style Court said...

Jacquelne --

Definitely! Realizing we genuinely like many of the same things sparks conversation and much more.

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Thanks for including me in your article Courtney! Love the India Hicks images in Veranda as well.

Style Court said...

Laura --

Thanks for answering my questions!

Janet said...

Thanks for the AS-GOK mention! I think it will be your entire summer reading. . .