Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

5.26.2011

Kate Headley Dispatch from the Field

 [Photo courtesy Kate Headley.] 

Thanks, Kate Headley, for the vicarious adventures. First it was the trek through India and last night Kate was on hand for John Robshaw's lecture at the Corcoran in D.C.

Although Kate is a professional fine art photographer specializing in weddings, not a textile designer, she related to John as a fellow artist. She told me it was a lovely and inspiring presentation:

"I was impressed when I learned how long he'd been studying and tinkering with Asian print-making. [Robshaw] showed snapshots of what he finds inspirational around India along with pages from his journal, and then he shared samples of related work he created. I enjoyed hearing how he approaches his brand -- to create a unique product that people like -- which is how I also approach my brand."

[Not from the talk: A photo I love from Pauline van Lynden's Rajasthan. ]


[Photo courtesy Kate Headley.] 

Kate especially got a kick out of John's reference to the Hotel Diggi Palace.  "He had given them fabric -- I recognized it immediately because [months ago] I had coincidentally taken a photo of his print on a chair!"

One of the reasons I wanted to share Kate's picture, above, is that I'm hoping to start a chair makeover this weekend. It won't be painted like the scroll-y example here, but I do want to sand it down to a mellow, natural, almost blonde hue. And, for garden furniture upholstery, I'm loving the richer summer berry shades as an alternative to the Palm Beach brights typically seen on patios. Remember John's rustic outdoor gathering?


I know some of you want a peek at the furniture highlighted in Garden Mania: the Ardent Gardener's Compendium of Design & Decoration.


I'm working on that, but in the meantime here's a look at another dressed-to-the-nines elephant walking through a late-19th-century cast-iron gate at the palace of the Maharajah of Kapurthala by A. Marcel (from the chapter on enclosures in Garden Mania).

And West Coast friends, don't forget Maharaja: The Splendour of India's Royal Courts is headed to  San Francisco's Asian Art Museum in the fall. The exhibition will be on view October 2011 through April 2012, and then make its way East to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, running May 2012 through August 2012.

1 comment:

Janet said...

I was disappointed to miss the lecture last week, so am delighted to get Kate's perspective here. . . and see such lovely bits of inspiration.