Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

3.23.2011

What Comes Around...

[Clockwise from the right: detail, Trina Turk's water-y striped Essential Tote; a page from the March 2011 Bazaar; a terrific painterly ad for Hermes' Bleus d’Ailleurs porcelain; and from Color Moves: Art and Fashion by Sonia Delaunay, Tissue simultané no. 205, France 1927, Block-printed cotton. Musée de l’Impression sur Étoffes, Mulhouse.]

First, a disclaimer: I wasn't planning to post today. Other projects need tending to. But my Color Moves exhibition catalogue came in the mail, and doing the initial flip through, I was struck by how really of-the-moment Delaunay's fabrics appear. Cooper-Hewitt textile conservator Sarah Scaturro covered this back in February. Still, I saw more connections than I anticipated.

Maybe in the next few weeks I'll copy Mrs. Blandings and do some sort of pop quiz: juxtapose an unlabeled Delaunay print with a contemporary fabric and ask which one is which.  For now, here is a timely blue-green mix. Without reading the credits, can you spot the 1920s piece? (Please click the image to enlarge and see the details.)

6 comments:

Emile de Bruijn said...

I managed to get it right :) I think the slight raggedyness of Turk's stripes marks them as being more recent - but as you say it is only a tiny difference.

Style Court said...

Emile --

Good point. The Turk stripe is even looser, even more painterly.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Quiz away. I am hoping to remember to order the catalogue soon so maybe I will be a winner!

Kate Lewis said...

love delaunay's fabrics- so classic. love the connections you've made to contemporary design.

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Love the fabrics and colors! pop quiz replies are tbd...

Style Court said...

Kate --

Thanks for dropping in. So glad you like the connections.

Patricia --

I think you'll appreciate the geometrics.

Laura --

Fun crisp jolts, no? Always look forward to your replies.