Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

3.14.2011

Turk's Process


Even though this screengrab is terribly grainy, I think the strength of Elizabeth Turk's work comes through. I hope it does. Shown above, the sculptor has taken one of her intricate marble pieces "off the pedestal" and placed it in a koi pond.

Lace, eyelet and crochet are everywhere this season, so I've been revisiting Turk's marble collars and detailed drawings. As a follow up to past posts (here and here) I'm sharing this link to Constructing Collars, a great video about the 2010 MacArthur Fellow's process.  Related exhibition catalogues can now be found on the artist's site, too, along with a short video about her childhood. I noticed that she mentions the Met's "yellow jasper lips," a fragment from an Egyptian statue that recently appeared in Connections.

4 comments:

meenal @ maison marigold said...

I thought it was a fancy net in the pond...never would have guessed it was marble sculpture!! absolutely amazing..what mastery! thanks for sharing, Courtney! have a great week ahead!! xx meenal

Bob said...

Just beautiful Courtney!

This post has made my afternoon!!
Thank you so much for sharing this.

Style Court said...

Bob,

I'm so glad! Her work really is amazing.

Meenal --

Yes, her carving creates the illusion of something so light and delicate. It's incredible.

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Wow, that is amazing. Her work is fantastic and so interesting.