Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

3.07.2011

Good Things Come in Threes: More from Angie Hranowsky


I've been meaning to mention the house Angie Hranowsky decorated on Pitt Street in Charleston. It belongs to author and singer/songwriter, Carolyn Evans, and her husband and it's featured in Southern Living, March 2011. (Although, the corner view, above, is not in the magazine -- that's a bonus picture from Angie's portfolio.)

[Carolyn Evan's album, Come Lately]

Writing for SL, Sandra S. Soria explains that Angie and Carolyn used some of the family's inherited things as a jumping off point, so I won't cover that territory here, but I'll share a little added detail from the designer.  Not surprisingly, my questions involved fabric and art (click here to read a 2009 post about Angie's open-minded approach to collecting).


The chair fabric, one of Angie's favorites, is China Seas' linen/cotton Ikat II in Sienna Negre Tint, and the trio of framed works on paper on the wall behind are more of her wonderful vintage finds.

She told me she spotted all of the art locally at a couple of different antique stores: "I found the bottom one first and knew it would be perfect in that room. Then when I saw the other two, I knew I had to get them because the three hung together would tell a great story." Each is an Asian work found in great condition in its original mat and frame -- something that really excited Angie. The blue mat happens to be silk and the orange mat is linen or burlap.

To see more of the house, click here and here. Or enjoy a peek into Angie's office here.

Friendly reminder: Colors of the Oasis: Central Asian Ikats closes March 13.

6 comments:

meenal @ maison marigold said...

This is a lovely post, Courtney...i do remember Angie's office from your previous post...well who can ever forget that prolific hat posts collection!! xx meenal

Sarah said...

Thank you for posting this Courtney, I absolutely LOVE Angie's work - her use of color is fantastic...

Style Court said...

Sarah -- I think her color sense is wonderful too!

Meenal -- Yes her building mate Leigh Magar has a staggering collection! Even the hat forms.

Tokyo Jinja said...

I think it was you who sent me off into colored mat territory...this post confirms it!

Tokyo Jinja said...

I think it was you who sent me off into colored mat territory...this post confirms it!

jayneonweedstreet said...

Fabulous! Traveling South to Charleston and Savannah in a week or so and the antique shops are on the list of MUST DO!