Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

2.27.2011

Textile of the Day

[Detail view from the National Gallery of Australia.]

Mood indigo continues with a 17th-18th-century handspun cotton cloth from Sari to Sarong: 500 years of Indian and Indonesian textile exchange. The hand-drawn batik cloth was created for trade to Indonesia using natural dyes, as well as mordant block-printing. More on the 2004 textile exhibition here.

Maybe balmy destinations and sarongs are on my mind because Gauguin: Maker of Myth opened today at the National Gallery in D.C. Not since the 1980s, when the NGA's major retrospective, The Art of Paul Gauguin, was organized, has there been a Gauguin show of this magnitude in the U.S.

6 comments:

Karena said...

So much beautiful art! So little time! The Batik is gorgeous.

I have an Artful Offering and Interview on my site!

Xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

meenal @ maison marigold said...

It looks so much like a bedspread i got from Jaipur ages ago...the exact same color...gorgeous! thanks for sharing, courtney...have a great week ahead...xx meenal

Barbara@HausDesign said...

I love it, love it, love it! I am always drawn to ethnic but this one has really beautiful coloring. I would love to use it on a terrace to take the chill off on colder evenings, or neatly folded across the end of a master bed...so gorgeous!

Style Court said...

Meenal -- I'm loving the border! I thought it might inspire some textile designers out there.

Barbara -- the rich color drew me in too.

Karena -- I know what you mean about so little time!

Tokyo Jinja said...

OK, just one more comment...Have you seen the Textiles Asia newsletter? I think you need a subscription. It was started by Bonnie Corwin after the closure of the Textile Society in Hong Kong. Well worth checking out!

Style Court said...

TJ -- I must check that out. Thanks again!