Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

2.24.2011

More Eastern-Inspired Fare


With deadlines looming, I need to make this a short blogging week, but here are three things I didn't want to pass by:




Ralph Lauren's spring 2011 Blue Label ad campaign filled with Southeast Asian-influenced furnishings and a few indigo fabrics that remind me of Japanese folk textiles. (I also spotted what appears to be an iconic blue-and-white striped Indian dhurrie in the background.)


One more from Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Modern Century: the photographer's Preparations for the Baris Dance, Ubud, Bali, Indonesia, 1949.

[Goddess Head brooch Designed by Van Cleef & Arpels New York, NY, 1970; Gold, turquoise, rubies, emeralds, sapphires, diamonds; Courtesy of Richters of Palm Beach; Photo: Lucien Capehart Photography Inc.]

And an intricate piece from Set in Style: The Jewelry of Van Cleef & Arpels, on view at the Cooper-Hewitt through June 5, 2011. With a delicate head of carved turquoise, this brooch represents the firm's creative exploration of international motifs. Globe-trotting clients influenced Van Cleef & Arpels greatly during the 20th century, and Exoticism is a key theme in the glittering exhibition.

Related past post: Virtual Escapes.

5 comments:

Barbara@HausDesign said...

What a beautiful post! I wish I were tall and gorgeous so I could pull off wearing those designs! I still love them though. :) Have a great weekend!

Engreida said...

The images capture the mood perfectly!

http://engreidadesigns.blogspot.com/

Janet said...

A perfect collection of images. I feel ready for spring now. . . Good luck with those deadlines.

Hamptontoes said...

I'm ready for the spring, especially after a very long and super cold winter. Ralph Lauren is one of my favorites, there isn't a thing he does that I don't love!

Tokyo Jinja said...

Wow! RL does a boro shawl...Japanese folk textiles have arrived!