Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

2.15.2011

Dressing Down

[George IV Mahogany Daybed, Circa 1830, Attributed to John Taylor.
West ~ East - The Niall Hobhouse Collection, Christie's.]

After reading this old review in the Journal of Design History, I'm even more anxious for my copy of Nada Chaldecott's book, Dhurries, to arrive. When it does, I'll share my own less erudite impressions. In the meantime, here's a terrific use of dhurrie as upholstery. Lends a relaxed feel to this stately early-19th-century piece from a 2008 Christie's sale.


I didn't buy the Hobhouse catalogue at the time of the sale, but I recently spotted it here.

2 comments:

Janet said...

What a fresh take on two classics!

The Devoted Classicist said...

I have associated dhurries as upholstery with those pieces from George Smith and others in the 80s that used geometric rugs to cover their furniture. They were attractive but I found the high jute content of the wool blend too coarse to be comfortable. But this wonderful example is clearly a finer cotton or perhaps even silk. Thanks for the wider outlook.