Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

2.07.2011

A Closer Look

[Central Anatolian village carpet, LACMA. Composite ultraviolet reflectance photograph documented by Yosi Pozeilov and published in Hali, winter 2007.]

I'll never look at fringe the same way again. Tweezers in hand, I've been getting blurry-eyed pulling countless cotton threads to make my own humble trim and now I truly appreciate the work that goes into the fringed (and tassel fringed!) edges seen everyday on rugs, napkins, pillows, throws, handbags etc.

  [X-radiograph of Central Anatolian village carpet from LACMA's collection published in Hali, winter 2007.]

I've also been gathering images of interesting fringe. Along the way, I came across some obscure fringe in an X-ray (one of the loveliest X-rays I've ever seen) of an Anatolian carpet in LACMA's collection. As reported in Hali, winter 2007, the "X-radiograph"  and ultraviolet photo, shown at top, were taken during extensive scientific investigations at LACMA’s Conservation Center. The age of the carpet was in question, so, the scientists and conservators went beyond what was visible to the naked eye. But ignoring the science for a minute, the images themselves are really striking.


New to Lucky is a collection by John Robshaw. Midway through my DIY project, I spied his fringed and tassled scarf, above. See other Indian-inspired prints and details here, and learn more about X-radiographs and art history here.

[Another fringed Robshaw scarf. Image my own.]

5 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

You're teasing us - can't wait to see the finished project.

Style Court said...

Patricia --

At this point I'm afraid it will be a let down. My fringe is looking like the cut-off shorts variety!

Renée Finberg said...

i love durries.
i had them in my nyc apt.
can' wait to learn more.

Jamie Herzlinger said...

Great post on fringe! Never realizes how complicated it was to do it right!
Thanks for the info on the hurries!
Have a great weekend!
Jamie Herzlinger

Style Court said...

Thanks Jamie!