Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

1.07.2011

A Vera-Focused Celebration for Anthropologie

[Vera Neumann's Foucault’s Pendulum, commissioned by the Smithsonian
during Vera’s residency in 1972.]

The vibrant colors, bold abstract lines, and exuberant spirit of the late Vera Neumann's work will set the tone for the grand opening of Anthropologie's new Westside Atlanta store on Friday, January 14th. Susan Seid, an art lover and FIT grad who today owns Atlanta-based The Vera Company, began a collaboration with Anthro in 2009 (remember the traditional French Louisa settee upholstered in watercolor-like Vera-inspired fabric?), so Vera's presence throughout the more than 5,000-square-foot store space is expected to be strong.


For textile enthusiasts or anyone interested in the history of women in design, Vera's story is fascinating. Born in the early 20th century, she studied at The Cooper Union and the Traphagen School of Design before embarking on a career as a textile designer. Her independent, globe-trekking life nearly spanned the entire century and she is now seen as a pioneer because she brought color and pattern into linen closets across America. On a deeper level, too, many credit her with bringing modern art to the masses via placemats, sheets, and, of course, scarves.

Exclusive to the new Atlanta store, Anthropologie will offer a selection of large-scale vintage posters from the Vera archives. The original archive serigraphs were created between 1965-1975, including Foucault’s Pendulum, which was commissioned by the Smithsonian during Vera’s residency in 1972.


Also for the celebration, Atlanta-based artists were tapped to re-imagine a collection of vintage Vera scarves into 21st century objects. I'm told Westside customers will find envelope clutches and knotted necklaces by Caroline Mae Heidenreich along with a selection of clutches and small accessories by Jordan Rowland. All of these pieces will be handmade and distinct. And the book will definitely be on hand, too.

[My own pre-opening shot.]

The new location at 1207 Howell Mill Road features a fresh glass facade distinguished by sculptural tree-like structures. And the lofty space (formerly home to The Silk Trading Co.) with polished concrete floor and exposed wood ceiling will serve as a great canvas for the full-time team of visual artists in charge of creating those ever-evolving, always unexpected window and store displays that beckon us in.

Beginning January 14th, regular business hours will be:

Monday through Saturday (10 to 7 p.m.)
Sunday (12 to 5 p.m.)

4 comments:

Emily Amy Gallery said...

As I am sure you can imagine (it being right down the street from me!!!) I am so thrilled for the opening! Hopefully I will see you there!

Melissah said...

I'm an interior designer from Melbourne, Australia - I loved your blog, I found it very inspiring. This is all new to me but I have just set up my own blog
scrapbook-melissah.blogspot.com
You may like to check it out because I had so much fun doing it.
Thanks for providing me with such great entertainment!
Cheers
Melissah

Anonymous said...

When I got my first apartment back in 1975, I framed a Vera linen dish towel (I think it was a bright pink flower) and put it in my kitchen. Wish I still have it.

Natalie said...

I was just driving past the store's construction on a recent shopping trip to Atlanta. I'm so thrilled to see the store once it's complete. Thanks for sharing!