Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

1.13.2011

Navigating the Maze


Last night I was able to catch just a little bit of American Masters' Jeff Bridges episode. On his lawn, Bridges has an expansive labyrinth and the filmmakers noted a key difference between a labyrinth and a maze: A maze involves alternate paths, so decisions are required to navigate it, but a labyrinth has only one route to center. The latter is less stressful. I'm sure the landscape architects and gardeners out there already know a great deal about this, but I'm only beginning to think much about mazes in design.

Above is an abstract example spotted recently at John Robshaw's Souk. And a similar grid pattern can be seen in his spring 2011 Irrwadi collection.


If you're drawn to the patterns mixed together in the pillow shown at the top, you might also enjoy Patricia Cheesman's Lao-Tai Textiles.


The "labyrinth" scene in Orlando is among the most memorable but I'm not entirely clear on whether Tilda Swinton is running through a maze or a labyrinth.

 [Screengrab via YouTube.]




As fascinated as I am by the grid-like mazes, though, it's the more fluid Jogi Rali Patch that keeps calling my name.  

9 comments:

Karena said...

Fabulous puzzles come to life!!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

HuntStudio said...

Thanks for making the connection. I always look for classic patterns and shapes when I design for my clients. This is one of them. Just picked out a similar maze-inspired pattern by Robert Allen for my own dining room chairs. Tilda's cream poufy dress reminds me of the lucious silk drapes I want for my living room, wouldn't mind the dress either, minus the corset it would require me to where!
Karen.

Tree said...

Enjoy your blog!

I also saw the Jeff Bridges piece on PBS, and highly recommend it to all- he's a true creative!

Your textile riff on the maze and labyrinth is great... here's a simple way to tell the difference between the two.

Labyrinths are flat to the ground, essentially always the same medieval design, and although you can see the path you are walking, your journey is inward and unique to your own thoughts.

A maze is above ground height, differing in design, and is about not seeing the path you are walking, and your journey is about finding your way out of it through the wrong turns and dead ends.

Style Court said...

Tree -- thank you!

VictoriaArt said...

What interesting connections you made! I am fascinated with patterns, mazes and labyrinths. I never new the exact definition, but this was so iterating !
I love your pillow choices, wonderful! Many ethnic fabrics carry these patterns!
Happy weekend!
V.

VictoriaArt said...

What interesting connections you made! I am fascinated with patterns, mazes and labyrinths. I never new the exact definition, but this was so iterating !
I love your pillow choices, wonderful! Many ethnic fabrics carry these patterns!
Happy weekend!
V.

Style Court said...

V --

Glad you like them! Happy weekend.

Style Court said...

Karen --

Yes, the dress is like ball gown curtains :) Thanks for stopping by.

Kitchen Improved said...

The design on the second set of pillows totally reminds me of Pac Man, which is AWESOME.