Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

1.27.2011

Francoise Sighting

 [Screengrab from Charlie Rose's hour-long 1998 conversation with French painter Francoise Gilot. The program is still available in the archives here.]

This morning I popped into the High Museum of Art for a quick preview of Toulouse-Lautrec and Friends: The Stein Collection, a striking exhibition opening Saturday, January 29. Howard and Irene Stein, another collecting couple, have been acquiring fin-de-siècle posters and prints since the 1970s and today posses a world-renowned collection of works by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. Happily for Atlanta and the High, the Steins are generous. Recently the couple gave the museum 47 works of art, encompassing pieces by Toulouse-Lautrec, Gauguin, Degas, Bonnard, and Daumier. And this is in addition to their past contributions.

So, the new show celebrates the gift. As soon as the elevator doors opened, I was hit with a visual punch that quickly re-introduced me to Toulouse-Lautrec's brilliant use of color and simple line. Running concurrently with the Stein exhibition is Delacroix to Picasso: European Prints and Drawings from the High's Collection on view through May 1, 2011. Entering this show, I smiled when I looked up and saw one of Picasso's large drawings of Francoise Gilot. (In light of all my past Gilot-related posts, I had to mention it.) With Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Modern Century just around the corner (opens February 19), a great new season is unfolding at the High.



[Image via Christie's.]


Related past posts: That Necklace Again and Fonts Instead of Faces.

And a quick reminder: Picasso: Masterpieces from the Musée National Picasso, Paris opens at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts February 19, 2011.

5 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Have you ever seen the "American Masters" series on Robert Capa? I know it is old, but it was just on the other night here. You would really like the footage of him on the beach shooting Gilot and Picasso that day.

Style Court said...

Jacqueline -- I haven't! But now I must see it. Thanks for the tip!

Emily Amy Gallery said...

Went to the member preview last night! The posters and lithographs were brilliant, especially the pieces of Jane Avril. And the "splatter" effect created by the lithography was amazing up close. Can't wait for the the Henri Cartier-Bresson show to open!

Melissah said...

I just discovered your lovely blog. I'm just new into blogging & have just finished off my own blog on fashion & interior design.
http://scrapbook-melissah.blogspot.com/
I had a lot of fun putting it together maybe you would like to check it out if you have a spare minute.
x
Melissah

Teacup Moments said...

I was in Atlanta a month ago and I made it a point to visit the High. I'm so glad I did. I caught the Dali and Titian exhibits. It's an amazing Museum. It's just to bad I missed this Toulouse-Lautrec one. I really love the ones at the Musee D'Orsay.