Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

1.18.2011

Creative Exchanges


The ice and snow that blanketed my area during the past eight days brought most everything to a halt except plans to paint.  Thanks to a few handy family members, I now have green walls (and even some tulips from the grocery store -- harbingers-of-spring and reminders of this Tory Burch print).


In person, the walls are a verdant shade that partners well with blues ranging from turquoise to the deepest indigo.


[Sibella Court's Society Inc. paint collection for Murobond.]

[Lewis & Sheron's indigo canvas.]

So, as soon as I can gather the supplies, I'm anxious to finally try a little hand-block-printing on blue fabric.  The new pattern-filled flipbook and latest offerings at Les Indiennes are definitely inspiring me.   

[Fringed summer bed linens in chocolate from Les Indiennes.]

But in terms of indigo, it's an exhibition -- Global Patterns: Dress and Textiles in Africa -- opening at MFA, Boston, in April that I'm excited about.


This is actually the second major African textile exhibition on the 2011 calendar that I've mentioned in recent weeks. (Weaving Abstraction: Kuba Textiles and the Woven Art of Central Africa will open at The Textile Museum in October.) Celebrating the work of African tailors, bead embroiderers, weavers and dyers, the Boston show explores centuries of artistic exchange within the Continent as well as design innovations sparked by trade with India, Indonesia, and Europe. According to the MFA, Yoruba indigo-dyed cloths (Adire) are among the varied pieces to be highlighted. Click here for details.

Update: 1.22.11.

Roughly a week later...


A different color contrast with blue on blue on green.

14 comments:

andrew1860 said...

I love the colors!!!!

Style Court said...

Andrew-- I'm so glad. When I looked at the purple flowers this morning I thought of Mardi Gras :)

Ragland Hill Social by Gwen Driscoll said...

Looks so pretty. Love your color combination. Have a great week.

Style Court said...

Thanks Gwen!

Mrs. Blandings said...

Hooray! Freshly painted walls generate so much energy - glad the project came off as planned.

Karena said...

Courtney you ahve chosen the colors in my entry and office/ studio!

Be sure to come and enter my Giveaway from Blydesign......

Xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

VictoriaArt said...

Wonderful choices! I used to have this color in my living room, I still consider changing it back after a 5 year sandy shore interlude!
Nothing better then creative exchanges!
Thanks for the inspiration!

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Love your paint choice and color combinations Courtney! I am excited to see what you try with the hand-block printing!

eileen said...

Hi:

What color is the green and what paint did you use? It looks lovely.

Style Court said...

Hi Eileen,

Thanks! It's Benjamin Moore's 'Liberty Park' and it's photographing a little washed out. It's more vibrant in person.

Style Court said...

Laura and Victoria -- appreciate the kind words!

Style Court said...

Karena -- yes, it's wonderful to live with.

Patricia -- finally! Thanks for your enthusiasm for my endless projects :)

Janet said...

The color is beautiful! I just love a freshly painted wall. Always takes me a while to hang anything back up because I just love the feel of it!!!

Style Court said...

So glad you approve, Janet!