Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

12.16.2010

Women at Work: Julia, Angie, Stacey and Leigh

 [Unless noted otherwise, all images ©Julia Lynn and posted with permission from the photographer.]

See the two-story building above on the far left? There's an awful lot of creative energy flowing within those circa 1825 walls. Located just one door away from Charleston's Sugar Bakeshop, the larger place is home to Magar Hatworks as well as the studios and offices of interior designer Angie Hranowsky, artist and printmaker Stacey Bradley, and photographer Julia Lynn.



 Julia Lynn]

Hatmaker Leigh Magar owns the building and as you can see she's decked out the porch with festive millinery-influenced holiday trimmings. Some of Leigh's many fans and clients include Michael Stipe, the Lee brothers, Christina Aguillera, John T. Edge, and the late Gregory Hines. I'll show you Leigh's collection of museum quality hat blocks in a bit, but first let's look at Angie's area.


For her office, Angie plays vibrant fuchsia curtains, a zebra rug and a sleek Saarinen table against the roughness of the original old floors.


Julia's beautiful photographs capture the spirit of this place so well; I definitely recommend taking time to enlarge the images with a click. You don't want to miss any of the details.


I can never resist peeking at other people's inspiration boards, so I was happy that Julia documented Angie's.



Office perk: everyone has an original fireplace.


Angie began her career as a graphic designer and later transitioned to interior design. Past posts about her art collection and style can be found here and here. Below, a look at Stacey's art studio.





And more details -- tools for printmaking.



Finished work.



Stacey and Julia actually share a space divided by a white book shelf. Julia's framed work rests on a mantle and her things can be seen spread out below.




Learn more about Julia here, and read about Stacey's holiday flair here.


Above, a sampling of Leigh's fantastic hat block collection.




More of her work and creative laboratory.




Check out the hatmaker's fascinating story here.


Many thanks to Julia for giving us a behind-the-scenes glimpse at Charleston's 21st-century creative side!


[Photograph by Maura McEvoy  ©Stealing Magnolias: Tales from a New Orleans Courtyard by Debra Shriver, Glitterati, Inc. 2010.]


Also of interest: Inspiration is Free.

9 comments:

Karena said...

Courtney I so enjoyed this post. Wonderfully creative women!!

I have a New Giveaway from My Sparrow, do come and enter!

Xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Emile de Bruijn said...

Those hat blocks are wonderful, like Brancusi sculptures.

kcinteriors said...

I love this post! Julia Lynn is my cousin but I live in California and I've never had a chance to see her office. Thanks for sharing where this creative genius works. I love her and I'm so happy you do to!!

quintessence said...

WOW - a lot of great creative talent going on there. Just love Angie's office - so inspiring!

La Maison Fou said...

Really nice looking peeks into the artists lairs......I love to see other creative peoples spaces!
It is always inspiring to see and take away a piece of creativity you can add your own signature to!
Thanks for sharing,
L.

Janet said...

What an inspirational workspace. There are many things I could dream up in there! I love the mixture of colors and textures. Thank you for sharing.

Jacquelin said...

Thank you for sharing! It's so fun to see all that unique talent at work under one roof. I love all the stylish creations-- I'm having "visions of sugarplums..."

Sarah said...

Thank you for sharing these photos Courtney...I love Angie's office - it is so spare and pretty. I am surprised she has an unfinished floor - I would not have thought she would!

French Furniture said...

I find this type of images so inspirational. We can not just see how people live and work but it also give me an extra drive!

nice!