Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

12.08.2010

Sort it Out


[Holiday Evergreens stamps by artist Ned Seidler.]

[Brass rack via High Street Market.]

With help from a little elf, I've mailed all but two homemade holiday cards. (Saving gift tags and personal touches for the last minute.) But I do wish I'd had this vintage brass "toast rack" to keep things organized midway through the card project.  Maybe with a slightly clearer mind I would've remembered to include in my recent cloisonné post news of the upcoming Bard Graduate Center exhibition, Cloisonné: Chinese Enamels from the Yuan, Ming, and Qing Dynasties.

[Tripod large basin with bird handles
China, 15th century, Qing Dynasty for handles,
Cloisonné enamel of copper alloy. 4 3/4 x 3/8 x 10 3/8 in.
Les Arts Décoratifs-musée des Arts décoratifs, Paris, bequest of Charles Rochard, 1903, Inv. 10.975.]

The show is scheduled to open January 26, 2011 and is a joint effort between the BGC and Les Arts Décoratifs-musée des Arts décoratifs in Paris. To date, cloisonné from the distinguished French collection has not been exhibited alongside pieces from acclaimed U.S. public collections. So, this is a first. The Bard exhibition will encompass objects from the Brooklyn Museum, the Met, the Asian Art Museum of San Francisco, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Art Institute of Chicago, the Phoenix Art Museum, and the Springfield Museums, Massachusetts.

See also: Sending Cards: Vogue's View.

9 comments:

Dumbwit Tellher said...

You are doing so much better than I. I can't wrap my mind around cards this year which is terribly sad.

Sending you loads of holiday cheer!

Style Court said...

Well, I'll send some mental cheer back at you :) Thanks for stopping by.

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

I'm with Dumbwit, I am so behind, in most everything. Wishing you a happy season ~

Style Court said...

TSL --

And to you too. Cheers!

Courtney

columnist said...

Do you think your toast rack might actually be a letter rack? I suppose it's dual purpose really.

Style Court said...

Columnist -- You've got me thinking :) I'll double check the listing!

John J Tackett said...

Kentshire Gallery in Manhattan often has a similiar brass or brass and oak (or mahogany) rack they offer for sale as a desktop accessory.

Janet said...

Slowly, slowly getting the cards done. . . just finished the Bs.

Style Court said...

I didn't think to alphabetize mine :)