Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

12.09.2010

In December a Different Beat

[Above, staying inspired by looking at past Anthro holiday catalogs; Below, bringing out my own ornaments.]


Mary Laura nailed it when she said the holidays offer us all an excuse to listen to styles of music we'd never admit to any other time of year. Same goes for enjoying sparkles. At least for me. When it comes to upholstery and curtains, I'm pretty much a linen/cotton kind of girl (Irving, Fine, Robshaw) but for some reason in December I gravitate to small doses of silk, velvet and metallic trim on ornaments. Oh, and then there's the cuteness factor: lions with bejeweled tales, pandas holding parasols. What would ordinarily be way too whimsical suddenly has appeal -- especially with kids around.


Like my four-year-old friend Claire says, "Every tree needs a little sparkle."

[Image via Dylan's Candy Bar.]

So, the the crazy menagerie and the lush mini B. Viz stockings from Louisiana are out of the boxes, and I'm trying to decide whether to stuff the latter with candy or clues leading to hidden presents. (BTW: While looking at chocolate options, I discovered that Alon's in Atlanta is making French macaroons this year. Online ordering is available now or you can stop by call the bakery later next week to see if the shelves have been stocked.)




In my family some of us have been opting to give to an organization in need, rather than to each other; Maybe there's a way to tie the stockings into that tradition, too.

[Screengrab via YouTube.]

And, of course, it wouldn't be December without a few lavish costume dramas. Part two of the Orlando post -- Emile de Bruijn's take on the historic locations used in the film -- will be posted shortly!

In the meantime, for others "exchanging" donations in lieu of presents, I've compiled a short list of what I hope are helpful links. Actually, for SC, the list is a bit longer than usual but this year it was just too difficult to shorten it.

St. Judes Children's Research Hospital

The Fresh Air Fund (This organization broadens horizons for inner city children.)

FEED

Shepherd Center (Serving teens and adults with catastrophic spinal cord and brain injuries, and other neuromuscular disorders.)

Share our Strength

Atlanta Community Food Bank

Woodbourne (Offers residential care for abused and neglected children. Click here to learn more about the children's wishlist.)

CHRIS Kids

Toys for Tots

U.S. Fund for UNICEF

Red Cross

Meals on Wheels

Make-A-Wish

5 comments:

Pigtown-Design said...

THANK YOU! I so appreciate you mentioning Woodbourne!

annechovie said...

I LOVE your ornaments, Courtney! I hope you're enjoying the Christmas Season. xx

Style Court said...

Meg -- My pleasure!

Style Court said...

Anne -- Thanks so much. Right back at you!

The Peak of Chic said...

Great post Courtney, but what I loved most was learning that Alon's is now making French macaroons. So hard to believe that they are difficult to find here in Atlanta. I buy the Trader Joe's frozen ones (you have to defrost b/f serving) in a pinch.