Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

12.26.2010

Antidote for January Doldrums

 [Photo: Courtney Barnes]

In Atlanta, those annual post-holiday doldrums may be decreased a bit by the opening of Anthro's new store on Howell Mill Road.


Expected to open in just a few weeks, the Westside location is characterized by an expansive glass facade (one of Anthropologie's modifications). I spent many hours in this lofty space back in the days when it was occupied by The Silk Trading Co., so I'm anxious to see how Anthro's creative team capitalizes on the building's features. Actually, my mind is wandering to spring and summer, and on to holiday 2011, as I imagine future window displays. Here's a peek at the team's past work.

[Henri Cartier-Bresson, 1944, Henri Matisse, Vence, France
from MoMA's exhibition,  Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Modern Century.]

And the High will make winter 2011 livelier, too As mentioned in the previous post,  Toulouse-Lautrec and Friends: The Stein Collection opens January 29th. Another much-anticipated, soon-to-be-on-view exhibition is Fifty Works for Fifty States: The Dorothy and Herb Vogel Collection, debuting in Atlanta at the end of January. MoMA's show is also on its way -- Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Modern Century opens here February 19th.

 [Red, late-19th-or-early-20th-century North African pierced and appliqued hanging. 
Colored cotton appliqued to sackcloth. Matisse, His Art and His Textiles.]
 
Related past post: The Party.

7 comments:

Rebecca@Harmony and Home said...

Wow! It sounds like it's going to be a wonderful store! Wish I could be there for the grand unveiling!

Becky

Laura Casey Interiors said...

How exciting that is opening, will put it on my Atlanta list! Happy New Year Courtney.

Terry said...

I do love that building overlooking the waterworks and the city. I particularly like Anthro's space.

Style Court said...

Terry -- I really like the views too. Somehow it all works.

Style Court said...

Laura --

Hope you'll have time to see the Westside!

Happy New Year!
Courtney

Style Court said...

Rebecca --

I'll give a report as soon as I can :)

LuluD said...

I drove by last week and was so excited to see Anthropology going in. It's such a great space. I loved it when Forsyth Furniture was there, too. A great new neighbor for Bungalow. Yea!