Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.17.2010

Projects


This year, to save money, I'm making my own holiday cards.


[Envelopes via Paper Source.]


Inspired by vintage textile-covered balls, I've been playing around with the ornament shaped cardstock from Paper Source. It's a terrific blank canvas. Ribbon and photocopies of antique Indian fabrics are what I have on hand, but if you prefer a more ethereal look -- maybe something inspired by Su Blackwell's intricate paper-cut works -- you could use the previously posted open-work papers over the silver cardstock.



And these paper ornaments are also great candidates for all the decorative tapes currently popping up everywhere. Kids can have fun with them, too. I think the Jackson Pollock route would be great, and of course there are always traditional, festive, glittery embellishments. But in the end it's the bespoke envelope liners that pull everything together. That's what I'll be working on over Thanksgiving.


BTW: If you're looking for that wonderful old fashioned stretchy and slightly feathery gold cord, Richard's Variety Store has the budget-friendly kind at its Peachtree Battle location.

Update 11.18.10
See also: Sending Cards:  Vogue's View.

The textile prints shown above are from V & A Pattern: Indian Florals and are intended strictly for non-commercial use.

14 comments:

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

Kudos and I love these, very timely post.

Style Court said...

TSL, thanks :) I'm planning another visit to Richard's soon!

Emile de Bruijn said...

Inspirational - but your designs are so sumptuous (including the smart envelopes) that I wonder whether you are really saving money :)

Style Court said...

Emile -- you are wise! In the past that has been the case :) This time I'm being really frugal with supplies so I actually am saving. Thanks for looking.

Ann Marie said...

Beautiful...I have made my cards for the last 10 years. I make myself use things that I have in my studio - upcycling:)...so usually the only thing I buy are the blank cards. People tell me they save my cards every year and when I think of stopping, this keeps me going. Your things are lovely and I enjoy your blog.

John J Tackett said...

While I am not convinced that making one's own holiday cards is a way to save money, I do know it is an almost universally greatly appreciated personal gesture. This year, mine will return to a tried-and-true tradition of a photocopied line drawing with touches of watercolor applied to each along with a personal note.

Style Court said...

John,

Wonderful to hear that you share hand-drawn cards. They sound beautiful.

Style Court said...

Anne Marie,

Thanks so much. Sounds like you have a terrific tradition going. And you are so right -- it's recycling (or upcycling) the supplies that helps. Cheers!

Style Court said...

And John and Anne Marie, you both echo thoughts that I think I read in Vogue's Book of Etiquette. I'll have to dig for the paragraph.

John J Tackett said...

Thanks for the VOGUE update which I found particularly interesting. Last year, my card was so secular that I even used leftovers for miscellaneous note cards throughout the year for those who had not received it as a Christmas card. But now I do not think it was holiday-specific enough. Although the design this year will have a wreath, it will not be printed with the words "Merry Christmas" as it has in some years past. I send the same card to my clients as I send my friends, with printing on the back but with the interior blank except for the personalized handwritten note.

Style Court said...

John,

Your comment made me smile. Some years -- okay, most years -- my gift wrap takes a huge departure from the traditional holiday look. Again, I think your cards sound wonderful.

Oh, and I too favor a handwritten note over a printed greeting.

The Peak of Chic said...

C- These are truly lovely. Who doesn't appreciate a handmade card? It's such a thoughtful gesture.

Style Court said...

Jennifer -- Thank you!

Style Court said...

Emile, John --

I picked up my envelopes over lunch and will report back with a cost break down :)