Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.02.2010

In Boxes

 [Detail, Case for Toilet Set, German (Augsburg) 1743–45, Wood, leather, iron, silk velvet. The Metropolitan Museum of Art.]


Coming to The Met in December: Thinking Outside the Box. Gathering an array of noteworthy travel cases, strongboxes, small chests and lidded storage containers, this exhibition will spotlight 100 boxes from the museum's European Sculpture and Decorative Arts Department. The old leather and wood case, above -- also part of The Met's permanent collection -- is shown here as Object of the Day simply because it caught my eye.


Related past post: Functional Beauty.

3 comments:

Dumbwit Tellher said...

My one set of grandparents always had the most interesting boxes from their living overseas & their travels. They always seemed so magical.

A good memory!

spaceforinspiration said...

How interesting! I wish I could see this exhibition.

I have a few boxes and also a fantastic antique 'wedding chest' that was given to me by my parents. They make wonderful inclusions to a home and I love that there is tangible history attached!

Have a great rest of the week and enjoy the exhibition!

x Charlotta

ArchitectDesign™ said...

maybe it's the architect in me -but this functional beauty is the best kind :-)