Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.04.2010

Grinling Gibbons and Elizabeth Turk II

[Open-weave paper via Kate's Paperie.]

As a follow up to the previous post, I thought I'd put together the first gift pairing for fall 2010. If you have someone on your list drawn to carving and fine sculpture as well as architecture and the decorative arts, the book, Grinling Gibbons & The English Woodcarving Tradition, and the exhibition catalogue, Elizabeth Turk: Recent Sculptures, could be interesting together. Or apart. Both are reasonably priced. (Again, Janet Blyberg deserves credit for my latest obsession.)


Kate's Paperie sells an incredible handmade open-weave paper that is really intended for art projects. Just for a second I envisioned wrapping the Turk book with it, but that would be seriously extravagant.  I might, however, use a salvaged scrap -- layered over solid tissue -- on a tiny box.


Kate's does have a terrific alternative lace paper priced to use as gift wrap. The circle pattern is particularly appealing. I think it reminds me of the textiles in this old saved photograph, below.


[Update 11.7.10: Tokyo Jinja sent me a message saying that she saved this image, too. She notes that the story was produced by Carolyn Sollis and photographed by Jean Pagliuso. Neither of us saved the magazine, so at this point I'm unable to identify the issue.]

[Wrapped lace box image via Anthropologie.]

Anthropologie's holiday offerings include lacy mulberry bark paper, too.



I realize there is some overlap here with past holiday wrap posts but in light of the Elizabeth Turk post, I couldn't refrain from doing an update.



Afterthought 11.5.10:

An array of lacy patterns made the cover of Fleur Wood's Food, Fashion, Friends.


Click here for Wood's behind the scenes footage.

8 comments:

Laura Casey Interiors said...

When we lived on the UES in New York I loved going into Kate's. My mini escape two blocks away!

Style Court said...

Laura,

How great it must have been to be able to pop in often!

Style Court said...

Oh and I forgot to mention Binders in Atlanta typically has great lace-like or cut-work papers. Worth a look if you're local!

Karena said...

The cutwork papers and intricate woodcarving take my breath away!

Xoxo

Karena
Art by Karena

Janet said...

And now I think we must find you an antique crochet coverlet for your bed. . .

Style Court said...

J --

The one in the picture was from a spare island house, so the graphic nature of the cover really shown through. You can imagine it maybe even mixed with John Robshaw linens. It's so nippy in Atlanta right now, all I can think of are much denser (non-open) duvet covers for the down comforter! :)

Style Court said...

Karena -- Thought you'd appreciate the paper!

Style Court said...

Another thing: I've always had sort of a love/hate relationship with anything lace-like. It can either be exquisite or way too fussy, for me.