Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.03.2010

Gibbons, Walpole, Turk and Alkemie

[Alkemie cuff via Church.]

When I first shared images of sculptor Elizabeth Turk's work, Janet Blyberg commented that Turk, who carves incredibly fluid and delicate forms out of heavy marble, is like a modern-day Grinling Gibbons. In particular, his 17th-century carved limewood cravat given to Horace Walpole came to Blyberg's mind.

[Carved Cravat, Strawberry Hill circa 1690. Attributed to English woodcarver and sculptor, Grinling Gibbons (1648-1721). Limewood, with raised and openwork carving Victoria and Albert Museum.]

So, I've been meaning to follow up with related links and images of master carver Grinling's work. But it took a metal "lace" cuff spotted recently over at Taigan to give me a nudge. The V & A notes that Gibbons' cravat was displayed in the Tribune Room at Strawberry Hill, part of Walpole's collection of special small objects.

[The tribune at Strawberry Hill, circa 1789. John Carter (English architect and antiquary, 1748-1817) Edward Edwards (British painter, 1738-1806) Drawing, Watercolour on laid paper, The Lewis Walpole Library, Yale University.]

The images below are from an article about restoration to the Grinling Gibbons carvings in the Quire at St Paul's Cathedral.


[Repairs to Grinling Gibbons carving from the Quire in progress (limewood). Photographs by Hannah Hartwell.]


BTW: Fans of Carolina Irving may remember that her NYC apartment is somewhat inspired by  Strawberry Hill.



Update 11.23.10
See Gabrielle Bratton's brass lace creations here.

9 comments:

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Strawberry Hill Forever!

You may have heard by now that the beloved Visual Vamp needs our help.
I am hosting an online auction this Friday to benefit Valorie and could use a bit of help spreading the word.
Please stop by my blog for more details.

Be blessed,
Laura

Lindsey said...

Love this post!! And that cuff is fab!!! Love how you tied all of this in!!!

Style Court said...

Lindsey -- I'm so happy! Thank you.

Ms. Wis./Each Little World said...

I thought I knew a fair amount about Grinling Gibbons but that cravat is both new to me and quite amazing. I love how it is so real that you could use it to make the needlework version.

Style Court said...

Linda, I love your comparison. It is amazing. Janet is a never ending source of information and inspiration.

Decor Arts Now said...

PS: I show some images on my blog of Strawberry Hill in an old post dated November 28, 2009.
In my search box , plug in the date or gothic revival and I think you will find the post. Would give a link but I don't know how with my Ipad. I need to get me to the Apple Store. Xx Lynn

Modern Country Lady said...

I love Grinling Gibbons his work, and have seen some of his carvings up close in Chatsworth House - the details are incredible- so detailed , it really is spectacular.
Eizabeth Turk's work looks amazing- I wish I could see it in real life!
Thank you for this interesting post!!
I am new to the blogworld and just started my blog, http://moderncountrylady.blogspot.com/
Have a look if you have the time and let me know what you think!!

palette et ribambelle said...

love your blog and can not wait to find that book

Style Court said...

Palette -- thanks so much!