Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.21.2010

Eyes Wide Open (Thanksgiving Week)

[Pride and Prejudice, production design by Sarah Greenwood, Focus Features 2005.]

Period films, especially past holiday releases, seem to run on TV more often during the days after Thanksgiving -- maybe it's the multi-generational thing. Next weekend, if you find yourself curled up watching 2005's Pride and Prejudice, there are all sorts of great visual elements to look out for.  Actually, we talked about some of them back in 2009: chinoiserie cabinets, crewelwork, blue-and-white porcelain, gateleg tables, bed hangings, camelback sofas.

To help tell Jane Austen's story of Lizzie Bennet and her four sisters, production designer Sarah Greenwood created a wonderfully shabby chic backdrop in which femme pieces brush up against more masculine Georgian furniture. (The Bennet family's interiors haven't caught up with fashionable Adam Style.)

[Lace paper above, gold mesh below and velvet ribbons purchased at Anthropologie, Lenox Square, Atlanta.]

The old P & P post has also been on my mind because my 2010 holiday trimmings are starting to remind me of the textiles seen throughout Longbourn, the Bennets' house.


Last week there were a few questions about whether or not homemade cards are really such a frugal option. Often they aren't. Here's the breakdown on what I spent this year: $5.50 for 20 cards and $10 for 20 envelopes. The envelope liner kit, decorative papers and ribbons used for embellishment were things I already had on hand. While I did use some tiny scraps of newly purchased ribbon to finish off three cards, for me the project has been a money saver.
 
That said, I can never resist highlighting a few of the commercially available cards, like the beautiful offerings from Rifle Paper Co. and Mr. Boddington's Studio (my 2009 choice!).

[Illustrated Menorah and Holiday Birds both by Rifle Paper Co.]

Apart from finding a mailing box to fit the lace package pictured above, my to-do list for the upcoming week includes taking a few minutes each day to think about the previously posted Agnes Martin quote and getting on the stick and making an early contribution to an organization that provides holiday gifts for kids and teens in the foster care system (staff needs time to shop). Two examples are Woodbourne (I'm sure Meg of Pigtown Design will be happy to tell you more about this Maryland-based center) and CHRIS Kids. Gift-cards from Target or Walmart are always appreciated because these enable the teens to make their own selections.

Here are other noteworthy links:

Toys for Tots
Anthropologie Book Drive

15 comments:

The Eternal Intern said...

My sister and I watch Pride and Prejudice every year. Combine that with my love of homemade stationary and I think I just found a new Thanksgiving tradition.

Thanks yet another lovely post! x Ophelia

Style Court said...

Ophelia -- that's wonderful! Enjoy your 2010 viewing and happy creating.

Cheers,
Courtney

Janssen said...

It sure could be fun to create your own greeting cards. Yet there are also some great commercial cards that you can buy from the bookstore. The ready made cards may still be enhance with your embellishment to add some personal touches.

La Maison Fou said...

That would be a good one to see!
I also think the creativity to make the cards is priceless!
Good and Happy Turkey Day!
L.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Cost effectiveness depends, I suppose, on what you would buy. I make my cards every year - usually from Paper Source product - and make a deal with myself to keep it under $1 a card. Plus, it's so much fun to see what you come up with, Court, so we have to factor in the entertainment value, too.

Style Court said...

Janssen -- Yes, in the past I've had fun making custom liners for store bought cards. Great point.

Leslie -- Happy Thanksgiving to you! Have a wonderful week.

Patricia -- Absolutely. Creative expression is the appeal. And these can be great family projects, too.

Pigtown-Design said...

1. Thanks for the nice mention of Woodbourne! It is greatly appreciated by the children here.

2. I love making home-made cards. I think it is so much more personal than having pre-printed cards with your name already signed.

3. I admire how clever and talented you are!

xoxo

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I wish I were Jewish just so I could mail out that delightful menorah card!

Style Court said...

Meg -- My pleasure!

Of course, I've been the lucky recipient of your wonderful handcrafted goodies, so I really appreciate your comment.

Style Court said...

Stefan -- I know!

JJT said...

I hope the handmade character of my cards will add value because I spend much less. I make about 200 cards with the actual cards costing about 10 cents each plus about 15 cents for each envelope! Sadly, the envelopes are not lined, but that would be an elegant touch as they are all hand-addressed.

Style Court said...

JJT -- Good to know. I'll have to re-evaluate my cost breakdown!

Cristin said...

Love the turquoise with the green! Happy crafting...

xo,
cristin

Style Court said...

Thanks Cristen!

Janet said...

Hooray for Jane Austen, Woodbourne, home-made cards, and the Style Court holiday posts!