Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

10.09.2010

There's Something About Mary (Part II)


You probably thought I'd finally run out of things to say about marbled paper and hand-lined envelopes. Actually, I wasn't planning to do any more "marbled" posts for a while but then I opened Mary McDonald: Interiors: The Allure of Style and saw these bold, sliced-agate-like endpapers.  

The design's composition reminded me of the soft apricot and pink Thai paper shown here, so I decided to search for the same pattern in deeper jewel-tones. After all, lining holiday envelopes in something raspberry with gold veining would be such a Mary thing to do.

 [One of my "batik paper" envelopes.]

At this point, I haven't really come across anything close enough available retail. Although, as mentioned in a past post, numerous alternatives can be found at Hollander's, Dick Blick, Paper Mojo, Binders, and Fine Art. And there is a digital library of antique samples with rich hues here.

[Detail view, 19th-century marbled paper, Gold vein Overprinted on Spanish moiré pattern.

Rizzoli New York 2010. Click to enlarge.]

But when studying Brazilian artist Renato Crepaldi's hand-marbled bookbinding papers over at Paper Mojo, my eyes gravitated to some linear patterns that made me think of the wallpaper in Mary McDonald's walk-in closet/dressing room.

[Image via Paper Mojo.]

Specifically, I thought of Melanie Acevedo's photograph that shows Mary's large collection of bead-filled Murano ashtrays juxtaposed against the modern zigzag wallpaper. The floating dots on Crepaldi's paper are a bit like the beads in the pink glass containers.


Crepaldi also does the same pattern in warm red with blue, and he has a great wine and rose waved chevron.

[Image via Paper Mojo.]

You might also enjoy Eyes Wide OpenA World of Our Own Invention, August Rush, and Everyone's Talking About Calke.

[Click here for the YouTube video.]


[Screen grab from Bright Star directed by Jane Campion.]

7 comments:

Karena said...

Courtney, I adore marbled papers and these hues you have shown are so stunning!!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

home before dark said...

Yummy! There is so much eye candy here my eyeballs gained 10 pounds! I've seen grade school kids do the marbeled paper thing. Am hankering to try it myself. I, too, noticed the end papers of this book. Luscious.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Love seeing these -you know how I love marbelizing!! I just lined the drawers of my credenza with some marbelized paper from the papersource -makes me happy everytime I open it!

Style Court said...

Karena, HBD --

Thrilled to know the colors came across as stunning on your computer screens too. And, HBD, let us know if you try your hand at it.

Stefan --

Thought of you the whole time I was putting this together!

quintessence said...

Just love all the marbelized papers. Beautiful! Just received my "mary" book - can't wait to look. And, you mention August Rush, which I can't tell you how much I loved - one of the few movies I could watch over and over with my 10 year old.

Style Court said...

Q --

That's such a lovely image -- thinking of you watching August Rush with your son. I'm really glad you shared that. Enjoy Mary :)

Megan said...

Thanks for the mention :) Renato's marbles are and will always be one of my personal favorite. We've seen a lot of handmade marbles but he always seems to be in a league of his own.