Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

9.02.2010

Jagged Edge


In Georgia, it will probably be a while before we actually experience any crisp breezes. Still, come September, the idea of richly patterned wool rugs is appealing. I have a real affinity for a wide variety of old Persian and Turkish rugs but I've been on the fence when it comes to the jagged edges commonly seen in the central design of Persian Mazlaghans. (Kind of thunderbolt-ish.)


However, this circa 1960 example above, from Allan Arthur, caught my eye. The sphere-like designs in the main field remind me of Venetian beads, and I'm having fun imagining the rug mixed with my DIY sawhorse table, or alternatively,  two goodies from Jayson Home: the Tucker Console and the Vintage Flashlight Lamp with black shade.

 [Image via African Trade Beads.]


The vintage wood elephant bookends are from Emperic.

2 comments:

Gramercy Home said...

Oh my. That is one gorgeous rug. The flashlight lamp kills me - so clever.

LuluD said...

I love rugs. They are like works of art. My neighbor couldn't believe how excited I got when I took her rug shopping. Have a great weekend. The weather in Atlanta is finally getting a little cooler.