Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

9.15.2010

Frames, Scrolls, and Leaves


[George II carved giltwood frame, circa 1735. Image via Sotheby's.]

Lots such as the George II carved marble chimneypiece attributed to William Kent, or the infamous George III Devonshire bookcase with secret door, are understandably among the stunning things mentioned most often when the topic turns to Sotheby's upcoming auction, Chatsworth: The Attic Sale. But also mixed in with all the salvaged architectural pieces are noteworthy giltwood frames. The 18th-century example shown above was designed by William Kent and probably carved by John Boson.

[George II carved giltwood frame circa 1740. Images via Sotheby's.]



I didn't have any 18th-century mouldings stashed in my attic to use for Janet Blyberg's photograph of wisteria at the National Gallery, and with photography I tend to opt for simple narrow frames anyway, but since this is a very small print I wanted to give it added presence on the wall with a thicker frame.


While the print is petite, her image is really strong, so the moulding doesn't detract focus from her work, at least not to me. (By the way, Janet wouldn't sell this to me -- for now her photography is something she does just for herself -- but she generously tucked the print in a Christmas card.)

Related past post: Sort of Symmetrical

If you enjoy reading about Chatsworth: The Attic Sale, I think you will like this post over at Treasure Hunt.

4 comments:

andrew1860 said...

I love 18th century frames. I have some in my collection.

24 Corners said...

I just did a post on a little antique painting I found at a flea last weekend with the most beautiful giltwood frame...I think it's just as lovely as the portrait. The GeorgeII frame reminds me of it a bit...it's just beautiful.
xo Jessica~

Janet said...

Courtney ~ just coming up for air and am so touched to see this lovely post. I don't think one of my photographs has ever looked better! Thank you. xo

Style Court said...

Janet,

Thank you for the Christmas present! Hope you are settling in after the long trip.

xo
Court