Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

9.23.2010

Coming in October: Mary Randolph Carter


As always, scores of beautiful design books will soon be landing in stores for the holiday shopping season. There are a few specific volumes that I'm really looking forward to talking about here but one less expected edition is Mary Randolph Carter's A Perfectly Kept House is the Sign of A Misspent Life: How to live creatively with collections, clutter, work, kids, pets, art, etc... and stop worrying about everything being perfectly in its place. The title pretty much says it all, however, she's not talking about Grey Gardens living -- not squalor. Some of the inspiring homes she explores include Pamela Bell's brownstone and Oberto Gili's New York digs.

I'll be reviewing the book next month but today I wanted to offer a heads-up for anyone compiling a wish list. Expect to spot Carter's latest in local bookshops mid-to-late October. (I won't be surprised to see stacks of this edition greet me when I enter Anthropologie later in the fall!)

8 comments:

LINDA from EACH LITTLE WORLD said...

I am old enough that I remember when MRC was an editor at Mlle. magazine. I still have an article they ran about the Carter sisters, their family and house. Should be a great book.

Style Court said...

Linda -- I think you will really like it. Would love to see the past story on the sisters :)

Laura Casey Interiors said...

I am compiling a book wish list and this sounds like it should be at the top, right up my alley. As always, thanks for the heads up!

Style Court said...

Laura --

Carter's photographs are beautiful and I think you will appreciate her essays. A lot to think about in terms of creating a home.

Mrs. Blandings said...

I wish I'd written it myself - the essence of this idea is everything that is home.

quintessence said...

This book was already on my list because of title alone - if my house was perfectly kept I'd never have time to blog! Looking forward to seeing it. Always admired MRC and good call re: Anthropologie!

Tiffany said...

So excited about her new book, esp since my old boss, Pamela, will be showcased. I linked back to your story while also mentioning it on my blog; thank you!

Anonymous said...

I also remember the old MLLE fondly. It was such a great magazine under MRC -- it was the Domino of women's magazines, if that makes any sense.

There's nothing today that's as smart.