Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

9.07.2010

Clemente Sighting


Watercolors by Italian artist Francesco Clemente cohabiting with John Robshaw's pressed silver chairs in a dining room. Hard to imagine a dull dinner conversation there. The room I'm talking about is pictured in the October 2010 House Beautiful, part of a nice long story on a global-chic, textile-and-contemporary-art-filled apartment decorated by Daniel Sachs.  (Sachs' work made the cover too, with beautiful photography by Ngoc Minh Ngo.)

Before the day's end, I wanted to quickly post this link to my past bit on Clemente and 1998's Great Expectations.


And speaking of films and cross-cultural influences, I'm in the middle of researching the set design for director Mira Nair's 2006 film, The Namesake, based on Pulitzer Prize–winning author Jhumpa Lahiri's book.

[Screengrab The Namesake.]

Nair is incredibly visual, with a sort of sumptuous, painterly style. In addition to the memorable artistic images of India, the colorful old art-filled Chelsea town house -- described so vividly by Lahiri in the book -- makes a brief appearance in the movie. More on that soon. In the meantime, read about what inspires Nair here (past exhibitions, Namesake/Inspiration 2007).

3 comments:

Gramercy Home said...

Oh my. My issue hasn't arrived yet but I can not wait to check it out. That is my kind of space. And, thanks for the refresher on Clemente.

quintessence said...

I'm so envious that you already have your copy of what looks to be a fabulous issue. Clemente is one of my favorite "modern" artists and I will be going to watch the video next. And I look forward to your post on The Namesake, which I've never seen - my you've been busy - lots to look forward to!!

balsamfir said...

I loved that Great Expectations, primarily because they used good art.