Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

8.15.2010

Supply Side


[Detail image top left courtesy of Stephanie Lake, PhD; detail lower left via Martha Stewart; picture at right courtesy of Vicky Molinelli.]

[18th-century Calligrapher’s storage box from Turkey. Wood inlaid with tortoiseshell (over gold leaf), ivory, brass, mother-of-pearl and bone. Private Collection. Image courtesy of the Michael C. Carlos Museum.]



Ever since I put together the series on artists' studios, I've been coveting Vicky Molinelli's work table. (Currently I use a laptop, primarily working at a small table for two that does double duty as a dining surface, with all extra equipment -- printer, scanner, art supplies -- squished into a closet.) When Vicky first sent me pictures of her studio, I was reminded of the linen-covered desk designed by Page Marchese Norman and Shane Powers for Martha Stewart.


After revisiting Page's video and daydreaming for a while about linen and nailheads, I finally decided to part with some possessions and carve out a space for a homemade, serious workhorse of a table.  So, my armoire will be donated to an organization that helps people in the midst of rebuilding their lives, I'll adapt to living with fewer storage options, and, as a bonus, I'll get more free wall space.

 [Design historian and interior designer Stephanie Lake, PhD. incorporated Bonnie Cashin's original "graffiti doors"into her home.]

In other words, room for another creative project.  In the end maybe I'll hang more art or do something Sibella Court-inspired. But I have to at least contemplate the possibility of making my own Cashin-esque inspirational graffiti doors.  (BTW: Congrats to Cashin historian, Stephanie Lake, PhD, for completing her doctorate and delving further into the world of design.)

Looking back through the images Stephanie shared with us, I stumbled upon something that, ironically, I'd forgotten: the forgettery! Who couldn't use one of those at the end of the week?

[Pen case with inkwell from India, 1700s-1800s. Silver and niello. Private Collection. Image courtesy of the Michael C. Carlos Museum.]

At the end of the month, Traces of the Calligrapher opens at Atlanta's Michael C. Carlos Museum. I'm sure the numerous antique calligraphers' tools from India and the Middle East will set my mind spinning in terms of fanciful forgetteries and general desk top accoutrement. Later I'll share more about the upcoming events related to this show.

[Image via Blick Art Materials.]



But now to the main reason I wanted to slip in another mention of desks and supplies: CHRIS Kids could really use them.  Basic school supplies, that is, for Georgia teens and younger children.  Items such as colored pencils, regular pencils, binders, scientific calculators, rulers, book bags and college rule paper are always appreciated. (The complete wishlist is here for anyone who wants to take a look.)

1 comment:

Stephanie Lake, PhD said...

Thank you for the congratulations! Always a pleasure to see Bonnie's graffiti doors and forgettery pop up in an inspiring post.