Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

7.10.2010

Color Stories: Sibella Court


I'm very late to the party, waiting 'til June to mention Sibella Court's book, Etcetera: Creating Beautiful Interiors with the Things You Love. Myriad international design blogs have been singing its praises for months. But my latest crush on the inkiest of inky indigo blues, along with a sneak peek at episode three of Man Shops Globe's summer season, led me to explore Court's magical color stories and themed paint collections for Murobond.

[Click to enlarge. From Etcetera: Creating Beautiful Interiors with the Things You Love, Murdoch Books 2009.]

 [Sibella Court's Society Inc. paint collection for Murobond.]


[Joseph Enrietti Photographie, Henri Matisse et Léonide Massine et le Rossignol mécanique à Monte-Carlo 1920,Exposition Ballets russes Bibliothèque-musée de l'Opéra de Paris via dalbera on Flickr.]

 [An English Sailor's Woolie of H.M.S. Tribune, England circa 1860, available through Vandekar.]

For me, the big draw is her approach to styling inspirational objects into still lifes that serve as three-dimensional 'idea boards,' and the historically-based, sometimes fanciful back-stories she has in her mind. Court's creativity is sparked by subjects ranging from the costumes 20th century artists, including Matisse, designed for Serge Diaghilev’s Les Ballets Russes to Eastern European/Central Asian textiles, 19th century scientists, tattered old flags, and above all seafaring explorers. Travel with her here.

[Click to enlarge. From Etcetera: Creating Beautiful Interiors with the Things You Love, Murdoch Books 2009.]

BTW: Clicking through the detailed slideshows of vignettes is really a must to see what I mean about color stories. I'm also loving her Atlelier theme inspired by Julien Tanguy.


Related reading: Everyone's Talking About Calke and Matisse, His Art and His Textiles

9 comments:

stainlesskiss said...

this blog is such an inspiration
thank you , thank you , thank you!

xox
http://stainlesskiss.blogspot.com/

Style Court said...

Thank you!

Gramercy Home said...

Wow. I could spend hours (well, I almost did) going through her color stories. She is so inspirational - thank you for leading me to this!

Style Court said...

GH,

Glad you had the same response I did :) Recently I noticed a small stack of copies of her very cool book on hand in the Lenox Anthro. No luck at Borders or Barnes & Noble.

BWS said...

I have almost worn out my copy already. Great inspiration...

Style Court said...

B,

I love how Sibella says her book is meant to be scribbled in, even the victim of a bold highlighter if necessary!

Style Court said...

Also, this is way outside my usual coverage area, but Sibella's shop, The Society Inc. is hosting an outdoor
fleamarket, Saturday July 17, 2010 from
8 til 12
at
18 Stewart St
Paddington, NSW, Australia

:)

Gramercy Home said...

Oh, thanks Courtney! I'm heading over there asap to see if I can get my hands on one.

Janet said...

I love the color palette in Court's book. So beautiful and restful!