Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

5.07.2010

Peony Watch 2010


I'm not trying to favor one particular grocery store here; the Whole Foods on West Paces Ferry Road is where I happened to find magenta-ish peonies today, but if you spot the May blooms for sale anywhere around Atlanta -- Publix, Fresh Market, a farmer's market or florist's shop -- please let us know.


My not-so-great pictures don't capture the depth of the color. Finding the jewel tones in an affordable bunch ($9.99) was a treat. Also in store were loads of the medium pink. Did not see white unfortunately.


Shifting to a different conversation about beauty, there are only six days left to register for the free interactive online colloquium, A Deeper Look at Surface Beauty, hosted by the Smithsonian’s Freer Gallery, Wednesday, May 12, from 8:30 to 10 p.m. EDT.  For more see this past post.

 [The Blue Dress. Thomas Wilmer Dewing (1851–1938). 1892. Gift of Charles Lang Freer F1906.67.]


And don't forget: Mother's Day giftwrap idea here. Image above courtesy Elizabeth James.

[From My Mother's Clothes, copyright © 2010 Jeannette Montgomery Barron, www.welcomebooks.com/mymothersclothes.]

Related past post:  My Mother's Clothes. Additionally, Atlanta-born photographer Jeannette Montgomery Barron's work will be exhibited at Jackson Fine Art, July 29 through August 28, 2010. Click here, and scroll down, for other posts that mention Barron.

[Christopher Silas Neal via The Washington Post.]

And one last Mother's Day reference, which is really about gifts of inspiration: Steve Hendrix's piece about his mom the teacher.

23 comments:

Gramercy Home said...

I love peonies! Great arrangements. Have a happy weekend!

Style Court said...

Thanks! You too!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

It would seem all bloggers tend to fall in either the 'peony' camp or the 'lilac' camp. I am of the latter but enjoy a good peony selection as well. Enjoy yours!

Style Court said...

Stefan --

Your lilac pictures were so much better than these! Really lovely. Enjoy your weekend.

Style Court said...

Oh, and yeah, it must be a round vs. linear thing :)

Style Court said...

Little Augury's peonies are so striking:

http://littleaugury.blogspot.com/

Karena said...

I adore all of what I call the "old fashioned" flowers. Something about those deep fuschia peonies though....

Karena
Art by Karena

home before dark said...

If you want some serious flower eye candy go to Trouvais's site. In California, her garden is about 3 weeks ahead of mine. Still I wait for Kansas, hailed by many to be the best red peony, to unfurl...usually just before a huge spring storm sweeps through. A gardener's sad reality! Enjoy your weekend.

Pigtown-Design said...

OMG! I was SO thinking about you when I went to WF today and there were peonies! I got the hot pink ones and the white ones streaked with pink! YAY!

Style Court said...

Meg -- The white ones streaked with pink are amazing. Touched that you thought of me!

Style Court said...

HBD -- Appreciate the tip.

Karena -- Yes, blowsy garden flowers.

Style Court said...

HBD -- Appreciate the tip.

Karena -- Yes, blowsy garden flowers.

Marija said...

We are finally beginning to see Peonies in Chicago - trader joes had lilacs last week and i'm told the peonies will be rolling in soon! Would love to see some of the white with pink streaks. They sound beautiful!

Rikke@scandinavianchic.com said...

Love those flowers:)

Mélanie A. said...

wonderful peonies.

La Maison Fou said...

Double pink peonies are my fav!

So summery and such beautiful flowers. Old fashioned too! My greatgrandmum had them, I have a few plants from hers.
L.

my favorite and my best said...

the whole foods on ponce had a ton of white, pale pink, magenta and speckled pale pink and magenta. just yesterday. also ranunculus.

lindaraxa said...

Going down to Atlanta tomorrow and will check it out. many thanks, i'm new in the area and have no idea where things are so will definitely start following! Peonies AND lilacs are my favorite and haven't seen them since I lived in Connecticut/NYC. What a treat, can't wait to get there tomorrow!!!

Bonnie said...

And on a totally different note....where did you get the interior illustration in the third peony photo? the one leaning against the wall. i love interior renderings, but I have no idea where I can find some that are available for purchase.

Thanks StyleCourt....LOVE the blog!!!

Style Court said...

Hi Bonnie,

Thanks!

I bought it from Vicky Molinelli. She's really talented. You can find her work for sale here:

http://www.coleenandcompany.com/ or visit her website:

http://stylecourt.blogspot.com/2010/04/vickys-new-site.html

Style Court said...

Linda -- Welcome!

Style Court said...

My Favorite,

Thanks again!

Brilliant Asylum said...

Thanks for the Jackson Fine Art news! I am going to put that show on my calendar.