Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

5.17.2010

Nava-mania

 [Detail, early-20th-century Navajo horse blanket, hand-woven wool. Through Allan Arthur.]

Trends aren't my usual focus but sometimes it's hard to resist observing them.  For example, Design*Sponge has been posting nice dispatches from Brimfield 2010. Among the trends D*S spotted are 'camp' blankets inspired by Navajo weavings. Looking at the photos, my mind flashed back to this post about vintage textiles from the American Southwest and Mexico (with a few Cherokee-made baskets from the Southeast added to the mix too). Then I remembered that one of the Georgia sources I originally mentioned has relocated. So I hope this is a helpful, albeit belated, heads-up to Atlantans. Current info can be found here, and in case you missed it, always on-the-pulse Mr. Nick Olsen sang the praises of Navajo graphics here.

 [Photo by William Waldron.]

Stripes are completely cross-cultural. Depending on your frame of mind, the stripes on the bedding in this guestroom designed by Timothy Whealon (see Elle Decor, June 2010) might be seen as loosely echoing the Navajo stripes of the antique blanket below.


[Detail, circa 1900 Navajo rug, hand-woven wool. Through Allan Arthur.]

2 comments:

La Maison Fou said...

I have always been a great Mary Emmerling fan.
Navajo rugs rate right up there with me.

Thanks for the post.

L.

katiedid said...

Count me in as another fan! Love the bedroom photo!