Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

4.26.2010

This Just In

Pretty without the sticker shock. New to High Street Market are pillows handmade from vintage textiles and classic designer prints.  The example shown above happens to be a vintage English linen, and the prices -- typically in the $48 to $85 range -- are refreshingly reasonable for something nicely made in very limited quantities.  

Most of the pillows I come across in shops these days are big enough to do double duty as a child's raft in the pool but High Street's fit comfortably in a chair, or on a loveseat or sofa, and still leave room for sitting. Not too big. Not too puny. Just right.


If you love these prints, check out Rosemary Crill's Cotton Road podcast during which she talks about India's cotton trade with the west in the 17th and 18th centuries and how printed cotton known as "chintz" changed life in the British Commonwealth. Also of interest is her book, Indian Florals.


In case you were wondering, I don't receive a dime (or free products) for talking about these pillows. I have, though, shopped High Street Market myself and wholeheartedly recommend the Etsy shop.

9 comments:

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Great finds. About to go click over, thanks for the source.

CDS said...

that last one is stunning! what great finds.

Style Court said...

Oh and big pillows have their place. Don't get me wrong. Sometimes, though, more moderate sizes are perfect :)

Glad you like these.

Gramercy Home said...

I agree - the last one if fabulous! And, I love the shape of an over-sized boudoir pillow like these...

Kerri said...

Lovely pillows, and I just painted a similar chair to the one shown in white. Now that I see this lovely pic, I'm wondering if I did the right thing!! K xx

Isabella & Max Rooms said...

Very funny comment about some pillows being large enough to double as a child's raft...apparently made for oversized furniture!

Wonderful pillows...can you ever have too many? Janell

Karena said...

Great source, thanks Courtney! beautiful designs!

Karena
Art by Karena

The Peak of Chic said...

I agree that it's nice to see pillows that aren't on steroids! Love the fabrics she used.

Janet said...

I love the chair and all of the wonderful prints! Just beautiful. As always.