Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

4.09.2010

My Mother's Clothes at SCAD

[From My Mother's Clothes, copyright © 2010 Jeannette Montgomery Barron, www.welcomebooks.com/mymothersclothes.]

I've been saying 'evocative' a little too much lately but the adjective truly suits Jeannette Montgomery Barron's series of photographs, My Mother's Clothes. Earlier in the week I described the poignant book, and today an exhibition of related photographs by Barron along with pieces from her mom's extensive clothing collection opened at SCAD’s Hall Street Gallery in Savannah, Georgia. An opening reception and book signing will be held April 13, from 5 to 7 p.m.

[From My Mother's Clothes, copyright © 2010 Jeannette Montgomery Barron, www.welcomebooks.com/mymothersclothes.]

Having poured over the book several times now, I think that for me the fascination with My Mother's Clothes definitely has to do with how Barron juxtaposed her mother's things with specific backdrops -- magnolia leaves, quilts, patterned textiles, a slipcovered chair -- and how she told her story with such simplicity. Friendly reminder: sales of framed photographs from the show benefit SCAD scholarships. The exhibition is free to the public and continues through April 27. Gallery hours are Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

I added the image of Barron's childhood house on Peachtree Battle Avenue in Atlanta for local architecture buffs.

3 comments:

Emile de Bruijn said...

A very Proustian project, evoking (that word again!) memories of people through places and objects. A bit like Giulio Camillo's 'theatre of memory'.

Maureen Sullivan Stemberg, Interiors said...

I ordered the book a few day's ago. What a loving tribute to her mother. When you go to the site to order...She talks about her mother. A woman, whom we all would had love to have lunch with...Great piece.

Brilliant Asylum said...

Read the book over the weekend and sobbed. What a wonderful project.