Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

4.07.2010

From Painting to Textile

[Late 1960s ad for Vera Neumann's ready to wear copyright©Vera: The Art and Life of an Icon Abrams, 2010.]

 [Detail, ad for Vera Neumann's ready to wear copyright©Vera: The Art and Life of an Icon Abrams, 2010.]

If you've seen the April catalog, visited the store, of surfed the blogosphere, you probably know Anthropologie is collaborating with all sorts of painters, from New Orleans-based women Ashley Longshore and Shelley Hesse to Stacie Albano and the late Vera Neumann (technically, in Vera's case, Anthro worked with Susan Seid, an art lover and FIT grad who today owns Atlanta-based The Vera Company).  The art has been translated into upholstery, pillows, rugs, linens and other housewares.  And then dovetailing with those projects is the book now available through Anthropologie, Seid's Vera: The Art and Life of an Icon.

 [Detail, 1969 ad for Vera Neumann's ready to wear copyright©Vera: The Art and Life of an Icon Abrams, 2010.]


I offered a brief description of the book the other day (lots of bloggers are jazzed about it) and I thought it would be fun to follow up with a late 1960s Vera ad from the pages. There are some nice images that show Vera's original designs for fabric house F. Schumacher, as well as a range of home furnishings, but I opted to share the fashion ad because it clearly demonstrates how her pieces were marketed as paintings to live in.  Copy reads: "Vera paints the Vale of Kashmir ... for you to wear."

Global influences were central to her collections too, according to the book. Apparently, new collections would be tied to a specific destination and stories about Vera's travels were incorporated into the promotional campaigns. We're so used to fashion and textile designers doing that now, via websites, blogs and sometimes books, but when Vera began this sort of multi-dimensional approach, it must have felt very fresh and modern.

Don't forget: "Vera: The Lady Behind the Ladybug," an exhibition of Vera's art and scarves, is on view through May 31 at the Atlanta Botanical Garden.

Also, I confirmed that My Mother's Clothes, described in full here, is in-stock at the Atlanta  Anthropologie (Lenox Square) and at numerous metro area Barnes & Noble locations.

7 comments:

This Photographer's Life said...

Thank you, I will be making a trip to Anthropology ASAP :)

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Great post. I grew-up with Vera's work being a real influence of my teenage & young adult years. Her designs were in such demand. I can't wait to read more about her. As for Anthropolgie, they do no wrong. Can't wait to see the fun. Thank you ~

Lisa said...

My mother always wore Vera scarves and now I have them. I wish we could see her show in Atlanta. What a great birthday gift that would be for her. Yikes, she might want all her scarves back! Good to know about the book! I'm curious about the other book, My Mothers Clothes. Will poke around.
Thanks for an inspiring post that brought back many happy memories. Always good to visit with you.
Lisa

ashley Longshore said...

Thank you so much for the mention in your fabulous blog! working with Anthro has been a dream! I am now working on two more big projects for them! For one of them I had to go to Portugal for two weeks! They litterally stormed into my gallery, saw my chairline that I produced from images in my art work and they called me a week later! The process took over a year! They completely maintain an artists integrity and give great creative freedom!
Truly incredible! And to be mentioned on Style Court........ahhhhhh! I must have been born under a lucky star!

Style Court said...

Ashley,

It's great to hear that Anthro treats artists well! As for the blog part, you are too generous :)

Congrats again on the collaboration.

Cheers,
Courtney

Style Court said...

Lisa, DT, TPL,

Thanks for stopping by and sharing the memories.

Amanda Stone Talley said...

Such a cool post!