Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

3.30.2010

Unlikely Pairings: Frank Lloyd Wright and the Lowcountry

 [Photo by Pieter Estersohn for Southern Accents, September-October 2009.]

It's not everyday that I associate architect Frank Lloyd Wright with the Lowcountry.  Amelia Handegan's welcoming South Carolina house, above, is what comes to mind when I think about the region. But there's more architectural variety here than you might think. Apart from Angie's house, there is Frank Lloyd Wright's Auldbrass, in Yemassee.

[Images courtesy G & G.]

Look how it fits with the landscape. Although parts of the circa 1939 farmstead are open for public tours, I've been told that Auldbrass is not available for private parties. Currently, though, G & G is auctioning a chance to host a dinner party there for twelve. James Beard Award-winning Chef Mike Lata of Charleston’s FIG restaurant will serve as private chef for the evening, and guests will be able to take a guided tour of the house, the aviary, sculpture gardens, and stables. A portion of the final bid will benefit the Beaufort County Open Land Trust. Click here for details.


[Photo by Squire Fox.]

6 comments:

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

I grew up in Beaufort and Savannah, spent so much time in Charleston, I am lowcountry through and through, they all three have my heart. I thought I'd faint when I saw your photos and read your post. Thank you for making my day.

Style Court said...

Hi Tina!

So happy you saw this. It's certainly nice to make someone's day. I like all three too :)

Terry said...

I had know idea. Thanks so much.

Lacquered Life said...

Let me know if you are interested in the backstory of the beautiful restoration at Auldbrass! Its a really great story, and quite the preservation theory discussion! xo

wrightfan said...

Laquered Life-

I for one would be quite interested to hear the backstory to the restoration of Aulbrass by Joel Silver. Plase do share. Thanks.

Shani said...

When an exhibition of Frank Lloyd Wright's metal work, stained-glass, furniture, light fixtures, drawings, etc came through the Columbia Museum of Art the board organized a trip to tour Auldbrass. I ended up unable to go because I had a newborn and desperately needed sleep, but have been dying to take another opportunity. Thanks for sharing this great contest!