Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

3.12.2010

Attention Mary Fans

[Mary McDonald in front of her guest house photographed by Miguel Flores-Vianna, Domino, February 2009.]

For years decorating enthusiasts have been swooning over Mary McDonald's super-stylish 1940s bungalow in West Hollywood. Many of us first saw it in House & Garden, November 2001, when Melanie Acevedo photographed it, or on HGTV's Homes Across America. At that time it was Mary's soft pink, dressed-up version of a Bahamian-inspired home. Nearly a decade later when Miguel Flores-Vianna's photos of the house (reincarnated as guest quarters) appeared in Domino, Mary had dialed-in more glamour, going for a full-tilt contemporary Hollywood Regency feeling.

Next month, with the release of Annie Kelly's latest edition to the Rooms to Inspire series, Rooms to Inspire in the City, we will get to enjoy a whopping 20 pages devoted to the house -- large photographs shot by Tim Street-Porter. I recently had a chance to savor a review copy of the book, and it's chocked full of new looks at old favorites. In terms of details, for example, I realized that Mary unexpectedly used a slipcover in a high-glam room.  More on the book to come. Just wanted to spread the word about the coverage of Mary's house. (And, yes, as noted a few months ago, Carolina Irving's apartment made the cover.)

11 comments:

Karena said...

Oh my G this will be such a treat!! I can't wait! I adore Mary's design work!

Karena
Art by Karena

erica@ moth design+luxe life said...

ooooh thanks for sharing! Also I'd thanked you for posting the photo of the semi-precious stones. It's inspired a clean out of the master...(Images posted on my blog Moth Design). I figured good sleep=fab creativity. Returning to jewelry making this weekend! thanks again... xo e
ps- have a great weekend

Tracy @ ComfortandLuxury said...

Thanks for the heads up. This will immediately be added to my shopping list.

D.B. said...

20 pages?! I can't believe it! BLISS!! I love Ms. McDonald's work. Thanks for spreading the news, I'll be watching for this book.

Style Court said...

And Peter Dunham's house received 12 pages. I would have loved 20 for him too, but 12 is good :)

Erica, I'm so glad to hear about the inspiration.

La Maison Fou said...

Looking forward to that!
Have a good weekend;
L.

VictoriaArt said...

Oh, the cover promises heaven! Love all in this room, the stripes, the colours, the books, the chairs and ottoman...THE LIGHT!!!
Thanks for making my evening!


So looking forward to this one!

XX
Victoria

Acanthus and Acorn said...

So glad I found my way here...some seriously great information!

Stacy said...

Can't wait!!

La Dolfina said...

Oh, I love that house... I'm so excited!!

Marija said...

This is one to pre-order. Appreciate the heads up! Marija