Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

3.30.2010

Architect Becomes Fine Artist

[Stephan Hoffpauir, 2405 Broadway, New Orleans, Watercolor/Paper, 35.5 x 24 inches, Framed: 42.5 x 30.5 inches.]

An exhibition of photo-realist watercolor paintings of New Orleans from Stephan Hoffpauir, the architect-turned-fine artist, just opened at Cole Pratt Gallery and continues through April 25, 2010. The opening reception is scheduled for Saturday, April 3 from 6 to 8 p.m.  Ready for a little after-work drink on that porch?

[Image via Anthropologie.]

For the screened porch sofa, how about this oh-so-lovely embroidered pillow designed by New Orleans artist Shelley Hesse? Click here to see all of the Hesse offerings at Anthropologie. The charcoal pillow is yet another thing that reminds me of Mrs. Delany and Her Circle

[Detail of Hesse pillow at Anthropologie.]

8 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh yay! Congratulations to Stephan! He was my color rendering professor last semester! Stephan teaches in San Francisco, and because it would be weird/creepy for me to show up in New Orleans for his show, I encourage those living there to please attend in my place.

Maureen Sullivan Stemberg, Interiors said...

I love his work...There is a fine line between Art & Design. He does both so beautifully. Lovely post.

Karena said...

What exacting work, incredible watercolor.

Karena
Art by Karena

Decor Arts Now said...

I saw the expedition of Mrs. Delany when it was at Yale and it was fabulous---so inspiratonal. Here is my detailed blog post on it, in case your readeres are interested. Love the pillows btw.
http://decorartsnow.com/2009/11/07/november-7-2009-mrs-delany-and-her-circle-count-me-in/

Ivy Lane said...

That is amazing! Looks like a photograph... wow!

le style et la matière said...

These are two beautiful finds. I wonder as an architect if Stephan Hoffpauir sticks with buildings as subjects? Interiors too maybe?

Lynn said...

le style at matiere, yes stephan renders interiors as well. specifically, he was my watercolor and color pencil rendering professor in the interior design department.

he's absolutely the best at it!

sinnlighet said...

Your blog ..... it's amazing and soooo inspiring. Nice to find you!

A small footprint from Agneta & Sweden

Ps. I have an ongoing jewelry contest on my blog. Welcome! Ds