Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

2.09.2010

Sartorial Flair (on Campus and Elsewhere)

[Visit the Peabody Essex Museum to see video related to Rare Bird of Fashion: The Irreverent Iris Apfel.]

The way my day is shaping up, it doesn't look like I'll be doing a proper post. Instead I'll direct your attention to yet another terrific Enfilade post. This one humorously addresses scholars and fashion. So why the image here of Iris Apfel? Because as I read an essay over at Enfilade, I remembered an art history professor of mine who broke with academic tradition and sometimes seemed to channel Apfel.

Colorful Apfel, an authority on antique textiles and co-founder of Old World Weavers, doesn't need much of an introduction. There has been plenty of press coverage of the traveling exhibition, Rare Bird of Fashion: The Irreverent Iris Apfel, which most recently was on view at the Peabody Essex Museum.

[©Eric Bowman]

But I do want to highlight the clothes above because the Qing Dynasty silk skirt with filé thread embroidery is similar to some of the pieces in Atlanta-based Marla Mallett's collection. (See the previous post and visit the Chinese section of her site.) Also of interest, the necklace is Mandarin, again Qing Dynasty, composed of silk cord, carnelian, jade, and metal. The leather boots were designed by Iris Apfel and made by Canfora, about 1980, in Capri, Italy. Oh and the birdcages? Chinese, 1950s: Bamboo, metal and porcelain. The Peabody Essex put together a wonderful interactive section related to the show.

10 comments:

Jeanne said...

Love it! Great style and a sense of humor to boot!
Perfect combination!
Jeanne:)

Mrs. Blandings said...

A perfectly lovely post - hope your day is looking up.

Filled with envy for her turquoise.

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Old World Weavers is one of my favorite lines. Looking forward to reading at Enfilade about Apfel, colorful is right!

Marija said...

Old World Weavers - always inspiring. But that necklace...eye candy. I'd love a close-up of the ring!

beachbungalow8 said...

totally, completely an idol. I love her. I hope I have a sliver of her style when I'm her age.

The Zhush said...

I see the similarities, and I really admire Iris Apfel, so much!

Agoura Antique Mart said...

Love her. She is amazing. Have a great day. Maria

Lacquered Life said...

Great style, I wanna be a great lady like that someday. I've been having a day like yours for the past seven, hope it gets better!

Karena said...

Astounding woman! I will go and read more on Enfilade,
Karena

Beth Dunn said...

AMAZING Blog!
xoxo
SC