Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

2.10.2010

Artists' Palettes: Sharon Dowell

North Carolina-based artist Sharon Dowell is giving us a peek at some or her paint-saturated palettes and other studio supplies. I love how she juxtaposed the fresh dahlia petals with the spray of colorful pencils, and how she shot her tables to emphasize the graphic play of repeating circles.

Sharon is represented by several fine art galleries throughout the Southeast and on the West Coast but now fans of her small architectural and figurative works can also find her over at Etsy. I spotted some vibrant tiny flower paintings too, and she is taking portrait commissions (couples, pets, houses, buildings).

Last summer Sharon traveled to Iceland where she was inspired by both natural and man-made sites.

Her small painting, Color Shift (Frakkastigur/Jokulsarlon), grew out of visits to Jokulsarlon, a glacier lagoon, and Frakkastigur, a bustling street in Reykjavik. Sharon says, "The idea is to merge landscape and architecture; a commentary on man's relationship to nature."

I also wanted to sneak in this image from one of my past posts about Sharon's work. It's a familiar sight to architecture buffs.

[All images courtesy Sharon Dowell.]

12 comments:

Lindsey Conrad - Nabors said...

Love the last one!

Marija said...

I love the image from a past post (esp. because I hadn't seen the post). Vibrant, moody color mixed with classic architecture. What more could you want? Thanks for the introduction and the heads up regarding acquiring her work...

beachbungalow8 said...

A new etsy find! I'm so excited to know about her.

Karena said...

Very exciting works of art, and I always love to see the studios!
Karena

(IN)DECOROUS TASTE said...

"Color Shift" is wonderful. I like the idea of merging landscape and architecture, and that particular work just has so much structure, I think it's really successful. It's clearly architectural, but at the same time, ambiguously so. Lauren

flyoungstudio said...

An interesting concept behind her work, and it translates beautifully onto canvas. Thanks for the introduction.

Michelle said...

Love learning about fellow artists, and I love seeing paint palettes, mine always look cool to me, like I would naturally make that, so seeing other's is like looking into their brains.

CDS said...

love the UVA painting. i have lots of family that went there.

Ivy Lane said...

I really love your "Artists' Palettes" Posts!

Lacquered Life said...

You know that I love the painting of the Rotunda! I love how she captured it in Cavalier colors -- orange and navy!

Aesthetic Oiseau said...

As a Wahoo, I LOVE her rendition of the Rotunda. How gorgeous!

Sharon Dowell said...

Thanks for posting my palette!