Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

1.23.2010

Hazy Days

[Alexander John Drysdale, Bayou Teche Country 1, 1927, The Roger H. Ogden Collection.]

Clear, bright skies aren't in Atlanta's weekend forecast so I attempted to find beauty in the murkiness. Thoughts of haze brought to mind early-20th-century landscape painter, Alexander John Drysdale. Although clouds are common in his work, some of Drysdale's paintings are described as lucent. But there is always a fuzziness.

[Alexander John Drysdale, Green Trees, 1915 The Roger H. Ogden Collection.]

Originally from Marietta, Georgia, Drysdale came to New Orleans as a young teen with his dad. There he studied with Ida Haskell and Paul Poincy at the Southern Art Union. According to a 1992 Morris Museum of Art catalog, A Southern Collection, the artist's work was often undervalued because of his tendency to repeat formulaic compositions. What art historians write about most is Drysdale's unorthodox medium: oil paint diluted with kerosene to achieve his signature hazy, fluid landscapes. (He applied the paint with cotton balls and brushes.) Along with this mistiness, a predominantly blue-green palette also characterizes his paintings.

[Lisa diStefano, Untitled Landscape, mixed media on canvas, 12 x 40 x 4 inches, courtesy Ann Connelly Fine Art.]

Aspects of Lisa diStefano's contemporary abstracted Louisiana landscapes have been compared to Drysdale's, hence the juxtaposition I offer here. There is a similar dreaminess, but in general I see a different energy in diStefano's work -- something brighter and less somber. Many more examples of her landscapes can be seen here.

[Lisa diStefano, Untitled Landscape, acrylic on canvas, 42 x 54 inches, courtesy Ann Connelly Fine Art.]

[Lisa diStefano, Untitled Landscape, courtesy Ann Connelly Fine Art.]

7 comments:

Rebecca@Harmony and Home said...

I love the art that you posted. I'm constantly on the lookout for new art. I have yet to buy my first original piece, but I am leaning either toward an abstract piece or a zen inspired landscape. These fit the bill. Thanks!

Brilliant Asylum said...

Both techniques are really beautiful. As I stare out the window at another week of gray and rain, I will try and imagine the world through their lens.

Emile de Bruijn said...

How fascinating to see these two artists together. It is always interesting to see how artists respond to particular climates and landscapes. It reminds me of seeing an exhibition on Canaletto's English paintings a while back: how he saw London through Venetian eyes.

Style Court said...

Rebecca -- I like how you picked up on the zen thing. That's a great point that I missed. Another nice thing about Lisa's work, from a new collector's perspective, is that she's done some small pieces too!

Style Court said...

Millie -- after another 5 days I may loose my ability to look through a different lens :)

Style Court said...

Emile, yes. Different artists, same climate or subject matter. It's all about point of view.

La Petite Gallery said...

Very Lovely and loose art work.
I wish I could paint that loose. I guess it's different with each person, and how they see it.

yvonne.