Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

1.15.2010

Flowering Quince and Projects

In Atlanta, flowering quince is currently available at Whole Foods on West Paces Ferry Road. Bunches of three branches cost $12.99.

Pink-and-green hydrangea can be seen in abundance too.

Anyone thinking about tackling the marbled binder project this weekend might want to head over to Binders Art Supplies, located just a few streets over from the grocery store. Recycled kraft paper binders and portfolios are still on the shelves.

The pink marbled Thai paper may be sold out by now, but I wanted to post this juxtaposition, below.

Earlier in the week, Megan commented that the large-scale marbled paper I've been focused on resembles those earthy agate slice necklaces. Loved the comparison. (Shown above is a detail of the Stephen Dweck necklace at Bergdorf's but you've probably seen many variations out there.)



The grain of wood comes to mind also. (Shown above, Anthropologie's Simplicity Lamp. Pale, unfinished grains and "pickled" woods are back in full force.)


[Photo of Vanessa De Vargas courtesy Lonny issue two.]

And, as everybody most likely knows, Monday, January 18, the MLK, Jr. holiday, is intended to be a day of service. In keeping with that spirit, I'm sharing two quick links: click here to read about Vanessa De Vargas' involvement with Upward Bound House, and, if you live in Atlanta, please visit CHRIS Kids to learn about ongoing volunteer opportunities.

[Branches really starting to bloom at Providence.]

6 comments:

Renae said...

Courtney,
Thanks for the head up on the flowering quince and hydrangeas. I was at Trader Joes in Buckhead last Sunday and there were beautiful hydrangeas there too. I just love them. I think some of the quince would be a nice addition to my home.
Thanks too for reminding us all of service. I do some volunteering regularly but would like to do more. I will check out CHRIS kids, my thoughts too are in a crisis pregnancy center.
Blessings....have a good weekend.

Style Court said...

Hi Renae -- Thanks for the TJ tip. I need to check it out soon. Have a great weekend!

Karena said...

I miss Trader Joe's, from when I lived in San Diego. I really wish we had Trader Joe's in Kansas city!!

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Quince is one of my favorite flowers and gives me hope for an early spring. Mrs. Blanding's binder project is on my list. I love how you connected all of this.

Style Court said...

Thanks Laura!

Karena, maybe KC has some other hidden sources?

Pigtown-Design said...

I love quince. We had a quince bush at the house where we lived as very young children. My father would make one jar of quince jam out of the two or three quinces it produced.