Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

12.11.2009

Please Stay Tuned...

During December twelve years ago I ripped this page out of Elle Decor. Everyone I know seems to have a visceral reaction to it -- they either love the quirky arrangement of framed family photos or are unnerved by the irregularity. Last night I was able to catch up with the magazine's editor in chief, Margaret Russell, and chat about it. She told me that the picture of free-spirited Lorraine Kirke's study with those adorable kids standing on the slouchy red sofa was a close contender for the recently released Style and Substance, The Best of Elle Decor, but in the end the team opted to include Kirke's bold red kitchen instead.

Soon I'll be back to share what she said about the Kirke apartment as well as other homes that are featured in the book. (By the way, in case you don't know, it's a huge hit. Already in its third printing.)

Photography at the top by Fernando Bengoechea, Elle Decor, December/January 1997

10 comments:

Ivy Lane said...

Great post! Did you get to listen to the interview the gals at The Skirted Roundtable had with Margaret. It was so interesting to here her story, and how she got her start with Elle Decor..what a great inspiration she is!

Renae said...

I have this book on my amazon wishlist...I sure hope Santa takes a look...would love to sit down with a good cup of tea and absorb everythinng!

Lindsey Conrad - Nabors said...

My first reaction of the first phot was "I Love it!!" I especially love the few red frames mixed in with the black and white. Love it!!

Mrs. Blandings said...

Can't wait to hear what she had to say. I still covet that big, open link bracelet.

Belle said...

These two rooms are some of the most memorable for me. Cute with an attitude! I look forward to hearing more about them and others.

Stacy said...

Can't wait to hear the rest. What fun.

Love the Home You're With said...

I just posted this photo (one of my favorites) on my blog when talking about creative ways to hang your pictures on your wall. I love the free spiritedness of it!

Cote de Texas said...

what a gorgeous picture of HER. I never saw that one before. what a beauty she is. I wonder what those little kids look like today 12 years later, it would be interesting to retake the picture (if they still own that house) in the same pose.

Gwen Driscoll said...

I absolutely love my Style and Substance book. It's definitely the best of the best. But I still don't know how they narrowed it down. There are still so many fabulous images like this one above. Can't wait to hear what else Margaret has to say.

Talk soon,


Gwen
Ragland Hill Social

little augury said...

Look forward to reading your interview. I am sure the content issues were overwhelming-I think a larger book would have served better-it seems too cramped the pages, size etc. Best part is the idea that it can be a research tool- I recently went in to see a Carolyne Roehm shoot she was featured on Elle's cover after the fire at Weatherstone-I was sure it would be archived in the book-couldn't find it.( I would love to be wrong), wish there was a good index included too! I was surprised something wasn't in the book on that one. The editorial team obviously can not please everyone- it left me disappointed, even though I love the mag. GT