Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

12.26.2009

Crammed-in Birthdays


End-of-December and early-January birthdays often get short shrift amidst all the holiday fanfare. For a grown-up, I think a really simple cake embellished with a few seasonal camellias would be appealing. The cake shown at the top is covered with garden roses, but you get the idea. I love how the light dusting of sugar gives it a snowy effect that doesn't feel particularly Christmas-y.

Since the silver is probably already out and polished, why not bring in more fresh blooms for a quiet-yet-romantic birthday supper? As we're always discussing here, more and more grocery stores are carrying lush garden roses and sometimes a New Year's luxury -- peonies.

[From the top, photographs one, three -- a cropped detail -- and four are by Art Streiber from Shabby Chic, Harper Collins, 1996; photo two is by Mark Starnes.]

Speaking of silver, architect William T. Baker will discuss 18th-century silver on Friday, January 22, 2010, at 6:30 p.m. as part of the learning lecture series offered during the Cathedral Antiques Show. Tickets for the talk cost $25. This year's beneficiary is Cool Girls. Related reading: Romantic Readiness and A Bowl for Camellias.

9 comments:

Renee Finberg said...

i think the image of the dining room,
as you are looking through the window is fantastic.
it tells a nice story.

xx happy new year!!

Style Court said...

Yes, a lovely story! Happy new year Renee!

Laura Trevey said...

Gorgeous roses!!!
My sister's birthday is
Christmas day ~~

Karena said...

Courtney, we have several Dec and Jan birthays!!I love the gorgeous cake!

Anonymous said...

Well I acquiesce in but I dream the brief should prepare more info then it has.

Marsha said...

My birthday is New Year's Eve - a delightful birthday (I'm on record with my belief that it is the finest of possible birthdays to have) when one is young. I never, ever went to school on my birthday and when I was a bit older of a blithe young thing I always had a party (or two) and a beau (or two) to entertain me.

Now that I am a wee bit into mid-age my birthday is a more sedate affair. I make my own cake and I make precisely what I like (just as I do for my children and husband). This year will be something with marzipan and apples, although I do not know yet the precise recipe. I will cut a slice (early in the evening, for I am in bed very shortly after midnight these days) and serve it to myself with a glass of the best Eiswein I can afford and celebrate another year.

Did I mention that 31 December is a really, really great birthday? Thank you for remembering how tough it can be for us post-Christmas babies to carve out a space for celebration. I've managed, and I hope the others do, too.

Janet said...

As post-Christmas baby, I love seeing my birthday presents all wrapped up in pastel papers! It all seems so fresh after the excess of the holidays (as much as I love that too)!

Laura Casey Interiors said...

I am a post-Christmas crammed-in birthday too and my little guy is three days before Christmas. Coming home with him from the hospital on Christmas Eve was the best birthday gift of all.

Style Court said...

Happy birthday to all the pre and post Christmas babies! Oh and I think Fifi Laughlin was born on xmas day :)