Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.05.2009

Running with Scissors II

For the crafter or designer who has everything, Sajou offers a line of scissors inspired by well-made 19th-century styles. Shown above, new scissors reminiscent of old tartanware. In the U.S., The Bag Smith sells them as part of a sewing set, with the simplest set priced at $106.

[Part of Ralph Lauren's tartanware collection cropped from a Town & Country photograph, October 2002. I spotted what looks like a bone-handled magnifying glass but couldn't make out any scissors.]

If whimsical designs make you smile, hop over to Bell'occhio. Although this San Francisco shop has many of Sajou's high-end scissors, other options include the fun nine-blade "fringe benefits" demonstrated at Daily Grommet.

These scissors cost $24 and can be used to embellish gift wrap or to manually shred documents.


For something more tailored, try Rupalee's hand-forged steel and brass scissors made for use on fabric and ribbon or paper (but not cloth and paper at the same time).

Listed retail prices range from $12 to $30 depending on size.

Update: 11.15.09
Be sure to read Mrs. Blandings' tartan story here.

14 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

Those plaid scissors would be very happy in my needlepoint bag. Very happy.

Cote de Texas said...

whoa - those are some scary scissors!!!!!!! i always buy one "good" pair that I swear I'm going to save and not use to rip up those impossible to open plastic sealed cases that hold things like mouses for the computer. I always break my rule and ruin the scissors.

Style Court said...

Patricia, you should email the link to Mr. B :) They would be right at home in the dream house.

Style Court said...

Joni, I know. It's hard not to use them for everything!

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Oh I love them. Now I need them in Campbell Plaid (maiden).

Style Court said...

Laura -- Love Campbell! Also love Blackwatch.

mo-zy said...

I so agree with Mrs. Blandings,
as always, I women with extremely wonderful taste & an individual with the wisdom to know the difference.
A trait I believe...Mr Blandings, rather likes. Although, we all know Mrs. Blandings, rules the scissors and the home!! -)))

BYW: I want to thank Patricia, for such a lovely post of a
dear friend of mine...Judith Miller & company on her recent book: "Chairs." ~mo-zy

Karena said...

I love the plaid scissors! Lovely gift idea.

The Peak of Chic said...

This is very timely Courtney. I have one pair of scissors in my house and they're terrible! I need to buy multiples!

Lucindaville said...

I adore scissors! As a child I would line them up across the table top. Alas, no plaid.

BigLittleWolf said...

Just discovered you. Delightful blog. Lovely pics. I'll be back (said in non Terminator sort of way).

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

OMG. Those scissors are amazing. I need them NOW. Did you see the tortoise ones? That whole site is incredible...and totally apropos with my new project (see my post today). Thank you, Courtney! xx

Style Court said...

Lisa -- The tortoise were almost my lead image!

Style Court said...

BLW -- Thanks so much!