Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.02.2009

Remind You of Anything?

I'm not sure if it was intended to be a balm for some of the year's bleaker events, but Anthropologie's first holiday catalog of 2009 is among their most fanciful and inspiring. (A few of my favorite ornaments are highlighted here.) Does the mammoth scrapbook above remind you of a vintage image from Horst Interiors?

When I saw the giant pink book styled with a French chair, I immediately thought of the art portfolio Annette Reed (now Mrs. Oscar de la Renta) displayed in her home in the 60s.

At 24" by 17.5", Anthropologie's leather album isn't quite as big as the one Horst photographed, and it costs $198, but for someone who loves to create artistic scrapbooks this would be a lovely gift. It could become a striking focal point in a library or living room too.

Two images above © Horst Interiors

And after seeing a new view of Anthropologie's butterfly ornaments, I think they are strong candidates for a Bright Star-inspired tree.

14 comments:

An Aesthete's Lament said...

I wonder what Mrs Reed stored in that portfolio ...

little augury said...

that scrapbook is a beauty! maybe a one for them ,one for me-gift. Can not wait to get my copy.

Style Court said...

Aesthete, me too...

Melissa said...

Hello there! I just discovered you through the Lime in the Coconut. I love this post, and I really love those butterfly ornaments! I really need to get my hands on one of their catalogs.

Style Court said...

Melissa -- Welcome!

LA -- Sounds like a great idea. The catalog is beautiful this year!

Love the Home You're With said...

hi courtney- thanks for the fun post- it reminded me of your interest in "man shops globe" - in case you didn't get around to ordering it, there are short clips of the show on the sundance channel website, highlighting some of the more interesting moments. it's fun to see how they develop products for the store! robin

Style Court said...

Hi Robin, thanks for thinking of me.

Yes, it's a great show! I watch it through On Demand, iTunes and also enjoy the website clips :) A real bight spot in the world of TV.

Thank You For Asking said...

I am a huge fan of Anthropologie. Thank you for featuring them and for showing the Annette Reed inspired use of the portfolio.

FLYoungStudio said...

Oh I might have to get my hands on this one. Their catalogs are so inspiring. I had collected so many, and couldn't bare to throw them away. So a few years ago, I used them for collage work with some art students.

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

Super post, I love the remembrance back to the giant scrapbook! What a mind and what a memory you have!

Cote de Texas said...

love this! I wouldn't have put it together so thank you for pointing it out!

hope you are doing well!
joni

Style Court said...

Hi guys, glad you thought the connection was kind of cool too. Thanks for stopping by.

TERI REES WANG said...

You just gave me a great idea of what to make with all the samples of vintage wallpaper I have.

Big "Thanks"!

Mélanie said...

that rapsberry scrapbook is a pure beauty. Love the 1st pic