Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.16.2009

Mr. Boddington's Studio (and Handmade Things)


Last year I had fun lining my own envelopes to correspond with holiday cards.

Envelope liner kits cost around $10.95 at Paper Source and decorative paper usually runs between $6 to $10 per sheet and yields roughly eight or nine standard size envelope liners.

[Directly above and below, some choices at Kate's Paperie. If you are in Atlanta, Binders has a fresh new display of decorative papers.]


Lining envelopes just adds a luxe element, and it's something most people can do. But since this season I'll be doing fewer hands on activities, I started browsing for an alternative. Mr. Boddington's Studio is probably best known for wedding invitations and social stationery, but I'm loving their boxed holiday cards, shown here at top and below. (I read about them over at Soolip's blog.)


A box of of eight with hand-lined envelops costs $30 . Here are the linings that are available.

And just a couple of reminders: photographer Gemma Ingalls sometimes makes her own gift wrap by having one of her images blown-up onto wide sheets of paper. Neighborhood photo-copiers can do this with non-copyrighted photographs. On a smaller scale, you can scan a favorite fabric and make paper envelope liners as Mary McDonald did with Scalamandre's Chi'en Dragon.

[House Beautiful, May 2005]

If solids are still your first choice for gift wrap, Bell'occhio has one more thing that might be great paired with brown kraft paper: strands of fabric boxwood. $9 for 25 feet.

Afterthought: Speaking of handmade things, check out this story about embroiderer Susie Cowie who created the "tree pillow" in Bright Star. [Image via Jane Campion's production scrapbook.]

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Courtney- I am so sorry to read that you have been in the hospital. I hope you are better now...you are a special person and blogger!
Dana

La Maison Fou said...

I remember this from last year.
Great idea's & I like the lined envelopes!
Leslie

Style Court said...

Hi Dana -- Thank you! I appreciate your concern. It's been nice to hear from everyone. Have a great week.

C

Style Court said...

Leslie -- the Boddington blog is fun too. Definitely worth a look.

little augury said...

I have been perusing cards this evening & saw these. Love the liner idea. GT

Mrs. Blandings said...

The image of the open envelopes is art itself. Inspired by your project, I scanned a piece of Le Lac for this last summer it is killer. And, and then I swear I'll stop, Smith & Hawken had rolls of fabric boxwood years ago that I put on packages as ribbon and it was wonderful. A great source for more.

Now, go to bed.

Ideezine said...

Just attended a holiday open house at Paper Source and did a sample liner make it take it. They do add a touch of elegance and originality for the holidays. Your tips are great and I love craft paper too.

Ideezine said...

I like 2,4 and 5. I'm reorganizing my studio and this gives me great ideas for colors and shelves.
Great spaces.

Bette

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Gorgeous...I am impressed that ou lined your own...Yowsa!

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read the article. Thank you for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

SFDC said...

I love the lined envelopes but worry that they would be missed by many of the recipients. They look lovely when lying open like in these photos, but don't most people slice open the top fold when opening mail? Seems like you wouldn't see the liner after opening a sealed envelope.

pve design said...

My card is in the works....
pve

Hampton Hostess said...

Love the liners--the pop of color is so pretty. Is there a special glue you need to use?

Style Court said...

Hampton -- I used a glue stick. I think there is a suggestion in the how to video (just click on the "Paper Source" link in this post).

The Peak of Chic said...

Wow! Wow! The lining is what makes the "package", so to speak. What a great resource!

Karena said...

There is nothing like opening a beautiful card and package! I remember yours from last year Courtney.

Rachel said...

I usually send store-bought Christmas cards, but this post makes me want to design my own (including the envelope liners). Thanks for the inspiration.

I love your pre-holiday posts. Us crafty people must get started early!

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

This is a wonderful post. Christmas cards are a fave of mine! My eldest daughter has been making cards for years, and they are treasures, and I have been creating Christmas cards for the past seven years or so as well, and I will be certain to look into the liners, something I've overlooked! I love an added bonus of wax seals as well. Fab post!

Melissa said...

Really great ideas here. I especially like the idea of scanning pretty fabric and then printing it for the liners.

Stacy said...

The boxwood garland is one of my favorite accents for gifts and home. ts very bendy! Plus the Bell'occhio site is a good place to get lost for a bit.I Glad you are feeling better lots of good wishes sent your way from Florida.

Red River Interiors: said...

OK... How inspiring...Is'nt that what we're here for...to be inspired?...love the lined cards...this year I will do something special and this is it...Thanks for the lovely post... Fay