Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.30.2009

Interaction of Color


Think you might receive a few book store gift cards this year? Here's a beautiful tome that, according to Yale University Press, will be released just after Hanukkah and Christmas 2009: the new edition of artist-educator Josef Albers' seminal Interaction of Color, first published in 1963.

The foundation of the book (actually two volumes in a slipcase) is Albers' series of exercises intended to challenge the reader to really explore color. This encompasses color memory, the ever-changing nature of color, and of course the myriad ways in which colors vibrate and interact when layered or placed side by side. It's an expensively produced edition ($200) with new studies from the Albers archive but Selvedge describes the set as "essential" for anyone inspired by color and relevant to textile designers, architects, artists and other design professionals.

10 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

Must. Have. Top of the list.

Jen Bekman said...

Wow, that looks awesome. WANT!

Lenore-LascauxTile said...

This brilliant and provocative book has inspired me so very much over the years! I look forward to seeing the "New Studies." Thanks for the post!

The Peak of Chic said...

Can't add anything else to the comments other than I plan to buy it too!

Passementerie said...

What a wonderful book. Out of my price range just now I'm afraid, but I must look out for the old edition and see...

pve design said...

I must ask my mother to dig these up, as I did all sorts of studies in college like this when we learned about Josef Albers. It really was amazing how one's eye can be fooled. This Christmas, I have lots of solids to wrap and lots of fun shades of green. You know me and my love of green!
I would love these books! (Santa, please!)
pve

Ms. Wis./Each Little World said...

Brings back memories of all those college art assignments. At our house we argue over things like Albers vs. Munsell color theory! Takes years to pick a wall paint color...

Ideezine said...

Great reference books are the lifeline to all the arts. A College library would surely have a set that could be checked out.

Bette

Maureen Sullivan Stemberg, Interiors said...

While I was in school..Majoring in Art History...Josef Albers, was a man we studied. Who is so honored in my work today. I can't work for the new
book. Great post.

Down and Out Chic said...

i took a class once based off of alber's theories. we made our own book to look similar (mine was in a three ring binder!) this one would be much better to have around.