Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.10.2009

Inspiring Each Other

Mrs. Blandings and I are often drawn to the same thing. Late last night when I opened my copy of Style and Substance, The Best of Elle Decor, the first thing I noticed was this iconic art-filled vignette in Albert Hadley's living room. And, sure enough, this morning Mrs. Blandings has written a terrific post about the democracy of paint using this image to prove her theory. With inspiration from design legends like Hadley, all of us can have something stunning; it's not always about the price tag, she notes. Hadley's use of a large plain panel painted pale blue to amplify a very personal collection of smaller works on paper is genius.

And the concept inspired a young Miles Redd.

Here is a little refresher. When a bedroom Redd decorated for his sister was published in Elle Decor, March 2001, the designer described it as a pastiche of famous elements.

The raspberry-painted board was the homage to Hadley, and the broad blue-and-white stripes on the Louis XV-style settee and chair were said by Redd to be "rip-off Pauline de Rothschild." For a lot of us, the open Louis XVI-style four-poster bed has become a Redd signature.

Image at top photographed by Fernando Bengoechea, from Style and Substance, The Best of Elle Decor, via Mrs. Blandings.

8 comments:

home before dark said...

I think one of the reasons Miles Redd fascinates me is his respect for the past, for the elements of design, and his own confidence to mix up all up. He is drawn to color which I admire. Regarding the democracy of paint: amen!

Mrs. Blandings said...

Courtney - the funny thing is, I was trolling for bedroom inspiration and got stuck on page 12. I can't really imagine anything dreamier than upholstered walls in a bedroom. So cozy.

As for inspiration, you are one of my favorite sources.

Style Court said...

Right back at you Patricia!

HBD, love how you sum up Redd's style.

Southern Aspirations said...

Lovely article- and that Louis XVI-style bed... just dreamy. One of my favorites.

Karena said...

Miles Redd is one of the best, Great images, very signature style.

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Great minds think alike!

Jennifer said...

It makes me feel so much better that even Miles Redd gets inspiration from other designers. Certainly makes me feel like less of a cheat!

Belle said...

Always loved that bedroom! So good to see it again.