Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.15.2009

Harris Holiday Style II


Before the ambulance ride, I was in the middle of contrasting the holiday style of Virginia-based interior designer Lou Harris with that of her daughter, G & G editor Haskell Harris.

Haskell loves her mother's richly colored old school approach but in her own house she is definitely less formal. (A lot of us will be tempted to copy some of her straightforward ideas.)

"I like everything real. I know it's a fire hazard but I can't help it. I love the smell. So I put up real greenery and real wreaths with very little embellishment," she says. Instead of hanging wreaths from ribbon, she uses natural rope.

"I only use white lights on my tree and I cover it top to bottom with clear round glass ornaments in different sizes (from huge ones to little teeny tiny ones), hung from thin black satin ribbon, black-and-white ticking striped ribbon, twine, and thin satin ribbon in silver and gold. When I put the last one up and stand back, they all look like champagne bubbles floating through the tree or at least that's what comes to my mind when I look at it," she adds.

Two of her favorite things in the whole world -- clementines and apple cider -- are always on hand at Haskell's house.

Echoing Michael Smith, Fifi Laughlin, Grace Bonney, and the Burnham Design team, Haskell favors presents wrapped in plain brown parchment or kraft paper, and she usually opts to use some sort of luxe ribbon for contrast, such as the moire ribbon her mom loves in a not-so-Christmas-green like Botticelli-green, or gold or silver, or chocolate-brown.


Like Adrienne Casbarian, Haskell sometimes uses newsprint and moire ribbon, "because I like the graphic fonts and because my Dad is a newspaperman." You may remember that to make her house in Birmingham feel more personal, she decoupaged the inside of her bookshelves with newsprint from the Virginia newspaper where her dad works.


All images courtesy Haskell unless otherwise noted. The rope is from Home Improvement Superstore, the wreath is from Stone Family Wreath Co., the satin ribbon is from M & J and the ticking ribbon is from Ribbons Galore.

The peach treated butcher paper can be found here, the vintage French ribbon is an Etsy find, the brown velvet ribbon is from Paper Source and Botticelli's Primavera belongs to the Uffizi. The Primavera image is via Wikipedia.

25 comments:

Laura Casey Interiors said...

She has such great style and terrific ideas. Hope you are doing better Courtney!

Style Court said...

Laura, I'm loving her rope idea.

I feel very lucky to be on the mend. Thanks for your sweet message!

Mrs. Blandings said...

So glad you are feeling better, and not just because I was so looking forward to this post. Easy does it.

Style Court said...

Thanks Patricia. My rationalization was that this post was almost finished before I left, but you're right I'm not supposed to be back at the computer for hours on end.

style chronicle said...

So glad you are ok. Always enjoy your posts but please take care of yourself.

Style Court said...

Thanks SC!

kelleyp said...

glad you are back on the mend but don't overdo it. pls take care!

balsamfir said...

Glad you are home again, and I agree with Mrs. B.

pve design said...

Cheery Ho - I always adore your pre-holiday wraps.
Hope you are all ok, home and feeling less under duress.
Wonderful mandarins, ribbons and simple brown paper.
pve

longtime reader said...

I'm relieved you see that you're at least well enough to post this. To be honest, I could care less about ribbons and paper at this point. Just glad to know that you are better!

little augury said...

great ideas, in many ways I am bound in her mother's more traditional holiday ideas- love these for new inspiration and nothing, but nothing beats some brown kraft paper and luxe ribbon. GT

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

I am so sorry to read you had a bit of a go there for a period, my best hope is you are much improved!

Regarding this post, I couldn't help but be reminded of The Sound of Music: "...brown paper packages tied up with string, these are a few of my favorite things!"

Pigtown-Design said...

Hope that all is okay! I am a huge fan of brown papers, and I find great decorated ones at the dollar store, including one with a black toile print, and another with blue paisleys!

home before dark said...

I don't think the ambulance ride qualifies as a modern-day sleigh! Hope you are well. I love kraft paper with anything.

Haskell said...

Courtney,

First of all, I am so, so relieved to hear that you are on the mend and home from the hospital. I agree with longtime reader's comment above. I could care less about wrapping paper and ribbon at the moment, we just all want you feeling better! I have been out of town since last Thursday and just logged on. Many, many thanks for both great posts. AND PLEASE GET WELL SOON! Haskell

Ideezine said...

Gosh, you scared us all and we are over the moon with this post. Brown paper my fav and I rubber stamp on it also. Generous post!

Though you are not out of the woods yet, we light the way for you with prayer and gratefulness that today you are here. Do recovery slowly and completely we need to click over and read your posts as part of our blog family.
Many Blessings!

Bette

seema said...

Hope you are feeling better Courtney. Have missed your posts, but not at the expense of your health! Take care

seema said...

Hope you are feeling better Courtney. have missed your posts- but not at the expense of your health! Take care..

Style Court said...

Hi everyone! You made my day brighter with all the well wishes. Thanks so much!

C

Jennifer said...

lovely ideas! I wish I could muster a more restrained tree, but both my mom and my husband's mother took the trouble to collect ornaments for us for years before we met. it's a mish-mash, but I do love it.

glad you are feeling better! hope you can take some time to rest and get back on your feet.

Anna Spiro said...

I am so inspired by the beautiful vintage Ribbon Courtney and Haskell! I may have to place an etsy order for some!

I too was heading in the direction of brown paper and newspaper this year with beautiful ribbon...trying to be budget conscious, eco-friendly and creative all at the same time!!

Take care and get well soon!

xo
Anna

COCOCOZY said...

Hope you feel better. Thank you so much for the lovely post.

Coco

Anonymous said...

what happened to you? glad you are better! you are OK, right?!?!?!?! hope so. xoxo

Style Court said...

Hi Anon,

I had an underlying problem with my neck that got severely strained last week, but I'm getting better and just need to ease up for the next few weeks. Thanks for your concern.

Anonymous said...

My take on brown kraft paper for Christmas wrapping: Santa used to deliver gifts to my children only wrapped in brown paper, with no ribbon or bows. Just their names written lightly on the corner of the package. Obviously, this was the only realistic way of packing millions of gifts in the sleigh and getting them down the chimney in one piece!

Glad you're on the mend!