Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.22.2009

Gift Idea: Under $35

Believe it or not, I don't receive any sort of compensation from Anthropologie. The store just tends to be my holiday headquarters so it's inevitable that it pops up here frequently in November and December. And I realize that the clothbound Penguin classics are getting a lot of press but I love the idea of pairing a canvas-covered edition of Great Expectations with a DVD of the 1998 movie which was vaguely based on Charles Dickens' tale.

Many visually oriented people appreciate the aesthetic aspects of the film; giving the novel along with the movie might inspire someone to revisit the original story. Green Havisham-esque gift wrap seems in order here. Maybe something with frayed or vintage ribbon.

Velvet ribbon is from Etsy; solid green paper is from Kate's Paperie. Portrait on movie poster is by Francesco Clemente. Book images are from Anthropologie. Click here for a related past post and here to learn more about the film's art direction.

8 comments:

little augury said...

love love love these Penguins and have some on order. They are wonderful and what a great idea to put some titles together with story details. Anthropologie is Full of good things. la

Style Court said...

LA -- Don't the books look terrific all grouped together too? Hard to resist. Classic titles, great looking covers.

Southern Aspirations said...

the only problem I have with Penguin classics press is how quickly some of them disappear- :-)LOVE the classics with great art cover. And what a great gift idea!

pve design said...

I was just there last night. It is one of my favorite spots, and we are on a first name basis.
pve

Brilliant Asylum said...

Great idea! I would love to get any of those book & movie combos for Christmas.

Ideezine said...

Perfect gift ideas for some lucky receivers!
I enjoy shopping at Anthropologie also love their great book selections that you just don't run into anywhere else.

Love how each store is different inside I can go to a couple of different ones.

Bette

Vicky's Yard Sale said...

I was searching through their site a couple days ago and found these and fell in love! They make me want to bundle up and read them all. Although I wasn't a mayor fan of the movie itself, (I must be honest, I was driven to the film by hottie Ethan Hawke,a little star struck back then) but that all went away when I saw the beautiful interior of that mansion. I remember thinking "hmm, I could live like that, over grown vines inside my living room and all". It was just too beautiful.

Janet said...

Ummmm...my birthday present to myself this year was a stack of the new Penguin Classics...I wasn't going to leave it to chance!